Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hopper Will Not Recognize External Hard Drive

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

@SharonTexas 

Sharon,

Have you tried formatting your 3TB again to see if that would possibly work? You could contact Dish to see how to force a re-format (Maybe a Moderator could chime in and tell us).

As far as buying another drive...you might take a look at the link I sent you 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H4XH586/ref=twister_B07454F4JH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
that the Dish Tech provided me with for the non-external powered EHD that he uses on his Hopper test setup. Just select the 2TB...I think the blue was the cheapest at $62.

Paul

SharonTexas
Character Actor

Hi Paul,

My son fooled around with reformatting the drive when it was attached to my laptop (not sure exactly what he did) but Dish still did not recognize it.

Like you mentioned, if a moderator could jump in and explain how to reformat, that would be helpful.

Do you happen to have the name of the tech who told you about https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H4XH586/ref=twister_B07454F4JH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I would love for a $62 EHD to work but don't need another EHD that isn't recognized by Dish.  There's only so much backing up a girl can do!

Thanks again,

Sharon

ACKNICKERBOCKER
Character Actor

As an interested observer to this problem, as well as a person who is experiencing it myself, I am wondering why on earth Dish is not stepping up, owning this problem, and taking an honest approach with the user community as to whether or not they plan on fixing this problem. This has been going on for almost 2 years, according to the dates on these forum posts. 

I am an IT professional, with over 30 years of developing and diagnosing hardware and software, both in the personal computing and enterprise / mainframe environments. My experience shows me that there is clearly something wrong with the DVRs that is causing these issues. 

Whomever is in charge of support at Dish needs to recognize the frustration turned to anger over this issue - it has gone on long enough, and there are enough instances of users doing everything "right", yet still having problems, coupled with spontaneous failures after a few weeks with "correct" installations, that there can be no doubt that the issue is in the DVR hardware/software, and not with the users trying to implement the feature. 

Once a user has the EHD working properly, there cannot be occurances in the frequencies that we're seeing in this forum of the user EHD's all spontaneously failing. It is just not realistic, especially when those same EHDs can be plugged into a PC or Mac and be instantly recognized by that computer. 

Dish: This is inexcuable. Leaving your customers flailing as you have done is beyond poor customer service; it is disingenuous and only breeds the resentment and hostility seen in these posts. 

Either fix the problem or come clean and comunicate that you will not do so. Anything else is simply not justfiable. 

Stop stringing us along. 

DISH Employee

Hello SharonTexas. When you plug the External Hard Drive into your Hopper it should automatically reformat it. There is a possibility because it is a 3TB Hard Drive that the Hopper isn't recognizing it. We can only really say that it should working with an External Hard of 2TB or less with our Hopper's software. 

SharonTexas
Character Actor

Hi Caleb,

Thanks for your response.  Guess when others have gotten 3TB EHDs to work it was just a fluke.  I should've known better!

Do you have any response to Paul's comment that a DishNetwork Tech said he uses the following non-external powered EHD on his Hopper test set up:  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRHTTIU/ref=twister_B07454F4JH?_encoding=UTF8&th=1#

Thanks again,

Sharon

DISH Employee

Just to clarify Sharon what Caleb is saying is that the Hopper receivers are only designed to recognize 2tb external hard drives.  This is does not mean it won't recognize higher value drives, only that we do not promise it will.  Also even if the 3tb drive does work, it will reformat the drive to 2tb.

SharonTexas
Character Actor

Thanks, Jason. I think I get it and I would not mind if it reformatted it to 2TB. I'd just like to have it recognize the EHD.

So you don't have any other suggestions or tricks to get the receiver to acknowledge my EHD? I've done the unplugging the receiver and EHD from power, tried plugging the EHD into all USB ports on the receiver but nothing comes up on the TV to show it even knows something was plugged in.

Jim-LA
Camera Crew

I had multiple recordings on my EHD that were made on my VIP722 DVR. I never had any problems with using an EHD on a 722. When I upgraded to the Hopper and plugged my EHD into it the first time, it did not offer to reformat my EHD, but did so without my knowledge and with any prompts like “do you wish to proceed with formatting?”. I lost several years’ worth of recordings and ended up with an EHD that does not work and is not recognized by my Hopper DVR.

What I have learned about Dish formatting is this…. You cannot format a Dish EHD on any computer. Dish formatting provides support for DRM and HDCP due to recent requirements by Media companies and the FCC. This is because the content is either HD content and DVR's are Mpeg-2 or Mpeg-4 so Dish added specific types of encryption. Dish DVR firmware also re-formats your EHD so that it’s encrypted with your account ID. This disallows the use of your EHD on any other account, or your computer.

Dish network uses in-house designed (proprietary) encryption software. Because movies and shows are copyrighted, Dish restricts your ability to watch or copy them on other devices. Saved DVR files are in a proprietary Dish video format.

I believe Dish has attempted to employ so many restrictions on EHD use that their newer DVR’s cannot properly navigate EHD’s, causing EHD’s to become missing or corrupted when plugged in.

It is very unfortunate that Dish has consistently failed to address the problems documented in this 21-month-old forum topic (yes, it’s pushing 2 years!). They have not stepped up to even say they might be working on a fix, or are scheduling one for the future. Yet they continue to market Hopper DVR’s saying they support EHD use. Fraud or coverup?

DISH Employee

Sharon my advice would be use the bottom usb port on the back, if it does not recognize it at all, try using a different device in the same port to see if it functions to draw power or charge.  If it does, that means the port is working, which would indicate the issue might be with the drive itself.  So the next step would be to try a different ehd, and if that works we know it is the drive.  If a different ehd has the same issues we could try a receiver replacement.

Highlighted

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

@SharonTexas wrote:

Hi Paul,

My son fooled around with reformatting the drive when it was attached to my laptop (not sure exactly what he did) but Dish still did not recognize it.

Like you mentioned, if a moderator could jump in and explain how to reformat, that would be helpful.

Do you happen to have the name of the tech who told you about https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H4XH586/ref=twister_B07454F4JH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I would love for a $62 EHD to work but don't need another EHD that isn't recognized by Dish.  There's only so much backing up a girl can do!

Thanks again,

Sharon

@SharonTexas 

If your son was able to successfully reformat the drive on a PC then as soon as you plug that drive into your Hopper then the first thing it should do is to tell you that it is going to have to format that drive for the Hopper.

The Tech who told me about being able to use non-externally drives was @Jason_Cbut I'm not sure what else he could tell you about that other than what he wrote to me which was...

"Previously we did require an externally powered EHD, but not anymore.  The limit is still 2tb, to be honest, this is a software restriction.  You can use a 5tb drive for example if you want, but when it gets reformatted for Dish, it will be reformatted to 2tb.  So there is just no reason to use larger than 2tb."

Paul