cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hopper Will Not Recognize External Hard Drive

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

@CalebS 

I'll go ahead and PM you but just FYI that both drives are connected with cables tagged USB 2.0/3.0 compatible and I am using the back panel USB ports (top 2.0, bottom 3.0) on the Hopper 3

Paul

@CalebS wrote:

Hello KachinaShadow. I understand that this experience with using your external hard drive is extremely frustrating. I did see something that could be causing this issue when you listed your equipment. Part of the EHD requirement is that you would want to us USB 2.0-compatible cable. I believe that the Hopper is USB 3.0 backwards compatible, but this could be why it's not working quite right. I would like to investigate this issue with you a bit further. Can you send us a Private message please? 
https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039

Fixer1111
Character Actor
Mine has been working fine for many months now, so it's definitely not as bad as you make this out to be. I have two external drives and haven't had to restart the dish or unplug the drives ever since my last post saying they're working now... Must be something on your end.

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

@Fixer1111 

So who are you to tell me that it's not as bad as I make it out to be? Just because you haven't had an issue for months doesn't mean that there's not a problem.

Mine will sometimes work for weeks before having the issue reoccur and since numerous others have the same problem and Dish IS acknowledging that there is an known issue then it must NOT be something on my end so be grateful that yours has been working fine because I'm sure that when you had the same issue it WAS as bad as you made it out to be.

I would hope that when yours suddenly started "working fine" that you shared with Dish what may have taken place just prior to that. I'm wondering why, if you have any idea of what it was, you aren't sharing it with others instead of telling me that it's not as bad as I make it out to be.

So please keep your disparaging comments to yourself unless you actually have something constructive to add.

Jim-LA
Camera Crew

Dear Fixer1111,

You are fortunate that you are one of the very rare people able to record and play content on your EHD! The vast majority of us who have been seeking a resolution to this on-going Dish glitch are still waiting for a fix, for over a year!

In the meantime, Dish continues to sell EHD’s fraudulently claiming that Dish users can rely on their EHD’s for backup and playing of the backed-up recorded content.

What model Hopper DVR do you have? What version of Hopper software do you use? Perhaps the rest of us can request that Dish replace our dysfunctional devices with the kind you have?

Thanks,

Jim-LA

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

@Fixer1111 

I just received a PM from Dish stating that "this issue has affected a small group of our customers".

Thanks for chiming in @Jim-LA 

Paul

Highlighted

ACKNICKERBOCKER
Character Actor

@Fixer1111 - 

I am delighted for you that you are not experiencing the long-standing issues that so many others, including myself, are having to deal with. 

However, your comment is erroneous, based on a flawed analysis of the situation.

Specifically:

First, you indicated that you too were suffering this issue, yet the corrective steps that worked for you do not return the same result for many others. 

Second, DISH itself has not published clear communications on the specific issue(s), the causes of these issues, the repeatable, verifiable workaround to the issue(s), or any progress or timelines for publishing the "solution" to the issues. This problem has been afecting users in some instances for over 18 months. Believe me, that IS a big deal, even if you do not believe it to be. Indeed, DISH has provided essentially nothing to the user community on this issue other than vague apologies and empty assertions that someone is working on it. The elapsed time since this started being reported, coupled with the complete lack of a solution or even any indication of progress towards a solution, indicate that DISH is either incompetent (it does not take 18 months to identify and resolve a HW/SW bug) or is lying about the efforts in this regard. Which do you perceive it to be? 

Third, I have little doubt that you will end up suffering a repeat of the problem you are now blissfully avoiding. Why? Because neither you nor DISH can articulate why the problem occured, why the SPECIFIC steps you took resolved the issue for you, but not  for many, many others, or how to avoid the issue in the first place.

Fourth, true technical problem isolation and resolution means that a problem can be reliably reproduced, and the resolution and/or workaround can be reliably shown to correct the issue(s). Neither of these is factually accurate in this situation. 

Please note that many others, myself included, have repeatedly attempted the very same steps that appear to have worked for you. Is it your assertion that you are the only one who "gets it" and the rest of us are dolts who just cannot grasp the basics? 

Lastly, even IF the issue(s) are completely caused by the user community, why has DISH not published a memo with clarifying guidelines, required hardware specifications, and specific procedures that resolve the issue? DISH has shown in these forums some periodic references to disk size, cable types, and sequences for powering on/off and resetting things, but DISH has not asserted these will work for all users who comply with them; hence many users who do comply with them (and that's pretty much all of us) have nothing tangible on this. If this truly is NOT DISH's problem, then why are they allowing the situation to fester across so many users for so long without straightening things out? This is clearly a major dissaitfier, affecting many, many users, so even if DISH is not the problem, there is clearly a need to articulate a solution. 

Please consider broad-brush, editorial remarks more carefully in the future. 

mec1
Costume Designer

Thank you for posting. We've had a number issues with DISH since we got the new Hopper w/sling. None have been resolved. I have given up. This site is useless as you have seen for yourself. My husband is a software engineer and feels as you do regarding the technical issues. DISH isn't interested in solving our issues. I wish the shareholders and stockholders could see these problems but I guess it's always about how much money they're making, not the integrity of the company they've invested in.

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

@ACKNICKERBOCKER 

@Jim-LA 

@mec1 

After my conversation, via PM, with Dish representatives they are sending me a new Hopper 3 w/sling.

I will re-post here with an update after I have given sufficient time to know if the issue that I am having has been resolved.

Wish me luck Smiley Wink

Paul

Jim-LA
Camera Crew

ACKNICKERBOCKER, I applaud your comments!

KachinaShadow has just posted that they have received a comment form Dish employee indicating that only a small portion of Dish customers have an EHD problem. I believe this is an attempt to spin this ongoing issue in favor of Dish.

It is probably correct that the majority of Dish customers do not use EHD’s, but the vast majority of users that DO, have the EHD problems addressed in this huge and ongoing forum thread, and their complaints are not being given the consideration warranted. I further suspect that this thread is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to users who are experiencing Dish EHD problems.

Additionally, I think Dish employees are trying to downplay this issue and may be trying to slant it in favor of Dish with fake forum posts disguised as users like Fixer1111.

ACKNICKERBOCKER
Character Actor

Hi Paul - 

For what it's worth, Dish sent me another Hopper 3 to address this, and while it worked in finding and reading/writing to the external drive for a couple of weeks, it failed for no identifiable reason about a week ago and I have not been able to use the EHD ever since. 

I have attempted all the remediations mentioned in both my posts and the other posts in this thread, all to no avail. 

Don't mean to rain on your parade. but it's pretty clear we all (the users and DISH itself) are flailing wildly here, stabbing in the dark trying to correct this in the hopes that something, ANYTHING, will work and make this go away. 

I'll cross my fingers for you, but I won't hold my breath. 

Good luck. Please keep us posted - DISH won't.