Hopper Will Not Recognize External Hard Drive

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hopper Will Not Recognize External Hard Drive

rgstarr
Character Actor
I just yesterday upgraded to the hopper and to an external hard drive. The hard drive is a WD Elements from Dish - purchased from the technician, as a hard drive I had purchased previously from Dish and never opened would apparently not work with this Hopper (which I found suspicious but had no way of verifying). The Hopper is Hopper with Sling. After the Dish technician connect the hopper and verified the system, demonstrated the remote, he also showed that the hard drive was connected an formatted it. He said I could not transfer anything to the hard drive, as I had nothing recorded at the time.
That evening I tried to transfer a recording as a test to the external hard drive and the Hopper did not recognize that any hard drive existed.
I followed the troubleshooting steps the tech provided: unplugged the data cable and the power from the hard drive and the data cable from the Hopper, waited 30 seconds, pluggef in the power cable to the hard drive, reconnected the data cable to the hard drive and to the hopper. The Hopper recognized the hard-drive, reformatted it...and when I went to transfer to the hard drive it said no hard drive is connected.
I've done a full power down of the system tried it again - no success.
I've been disconnected all power cords for the Hopper, the hard drive, the television - everything -from the power source, waited five minutes, reconnected everything...the Hopper did the acquiring signal steps, but still did not recognize hard drive.
While connect the the Hopper, the drive displays a tiny green LED, sometimes solid, sometimes flashing, along with vibration as the drive spins - so the drive appears to be working.
Any suggestions?
If I need to return the drive for a refund, I'll need to find an appropriate box, as the tech took the packaging with him.
In reading this thread in the forum, this has been a problem for years - no resolution - only "contact us so we can advise the engineers...blah, blah, blah".
I'm out $150 for something that doesn't work because of Dish's receiver software.
Having an issue open for YEARS boggles the mind, but when the only alternatives are DirecTV or Comcast - the consumer is left to choose from 3 lethal diseases or do without.
Dish needs to resolve this - you advertise external HDs...they are almost always plug-n-play with other platforms...there is no excuse for them not to be with Dish receivers.

DISH Employee

Hello rgstarr, I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue. Our external hard drive requirements can be found at this link: https://www.mydish.com/support/use-ehd

If your hard drive meets these requirements and is still not being recognized I'd like to submit a report to our engineering department so they can research the problem. Please send me a a private message with your phone number and 4 digit security code.

rgstarr
Character Actor
Hi! The drive was purchased from Dish...from the Technician who was at the house. This was specifically called out in my original post.
I also just got finished with Dish Support Chat - where I pasted the details of all the steps I've taken so far... he apparently ignored that and ran me through a complete reboot of the Hopper.
I will send you the info requested.

rgstarr
Character Actor
RobertS - info sent

rgstarr
Character Actor
All,
Has anyone ACTUALLY seen an issue they've posted about resolved after getting the "Please send your phone number and PIN so engineering can review the issue"?
I've gotten the response from both Dish Support and here on the forum.

Jim-LA
Character Actor

Although many Dish employees seem to monitor the forums and provide some feedback to posters, there does not appear to be any kind of direct link back to the technical group that would be responsible for addressing the various issues. If there were, we would probably have seen some kind of response in the last 12 months giving us at least a status about the issue, perhaps even an estimated timeframe for its resolution. Sans such responses, I don’t believe this issue is being actively worked on. Yet Dish continues to sell and take in revenue for EHD’s that don’t work.  

Highlighted

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

Both of my EHD's disappered overnight again. It's been happening almost nightly but the previous two nights they didn't disappear so now that they're gone again I will, once again, repost my issue and will continue until someone actually takes notice and does something about it so here it is...

I've had one of my EHD's (could be either one or both) just disappear from the list on ocassion...no set pattern, just at random. This has been going on for a couple of years sometimes ocurring regularly over a 2 - 3 week period and sometimes everything will be just fine for months at a time...it makes no sense.

Sometimes it (they) will come back by just unplugging & replugging the power from the offending EHD or with just a simple push of the reset button and sometimes it (they) won't reappear at all unless I pull the Hopper 3 w/Sling plug for 30 seconds but then it always comes back. It's just a pain when you want to view something on the EHD (which is no longer showing up) and the Hopper 3 w/Sling is in the middle of recording something so you have to wait to reset the Hopper until the recording is done so you don't interupt the recording.

Over the past week or so this has been happening more often...this morning both of my EHD's were missing and unplugging the EHD's did nothing so I'm waiting for recordings to finish so that I can unplug the Hopper...until then nobody can watch anything from any of the EHD's.

Both EHD'S are WD 2TB My Book USB 3.0 drives (Dish recommended)

JrodS
Character Actor

Between this issue now going for months and the Netflix issue that is also going for months is there really a engineering team at Dish?

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

The last four mornings I woke up to, once again, BOTH EHD's GONE!

When is this going to be fixed? It's been going on for far to long!

It's been real hard to keep from cancelling my subscription...

HBO & Cinemax gone so I replaced them with Netflix but there's an issue with it freezing on the startup screen on ocassion (reported)
EHD's disappear so you can't watch any movies that have been saved until it's convenient to reboot the system (reported)
Ocassional unannounced reboots in the middle of a program, during prime viewing hours, to "check the system" (reported)

...when will it end?

A lot of people spend good money for DISH so someone please lean on UPPER MANAGEMENT to have the engineers get these issues fixed ASAP.

Thanks,
Paul

engineer459
Extra

Please contact me to have my information added.  My Hopper 3 will no longer recognize my EHD purchased from DISH Network in May 2016.  I noticed it was missing occasionally in late 2018.  I usually would reboot the Hopper or unplug from USB and then plug back in to correct the issue.  I mentioned this thread yesterday when I first called DISH Tech Support.  Both reps insisted they were not aware of the issue or a solution being worked on.  Per DISH troublshooting steps I eventually did a partial reset which made my remote no longer work.  I spent 2 hours on the phone with issues that were introduced by DISH tech support.  In the end they recoccomended a new remote or new Hopper 3 to fix the remote issue and EHD issue.  I fixed the remote issue myself after ending the tech support call.  Now I'm back to the EHD not being recognized.