Hopper Will Not Recognize External Hard Drive

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hopper Will Not Recognize External Hard Drive

JrodS
Character Actor

You have to login into this forum and send an email to RobertS, either him or someone else will get you on the list so they can check your system.

Jpaul
Extra

I just wanted to add us to the list of those affected. I have already sent a private message to ReyU as they were the last dish employee I saw post to the thread.

For anyone who stumbles across this thread looking for information, the hard drive we are having issues with is a:

2TB WD My Book Essential

P/N#  WDBACW0020HBK-01 (found on the drive itself)

The model number appears to be:  

WDBACW0020HBK-NEWM (found on the box of a second drive I believe is identical and purchased at the same time)

Since we lucked into having two of the same drive, I went ahead and plugged the new drive into our hopper 3 to see what would happen. The hopper recognized the untouched drive and prompted to format it. We let it do so. The drive is now listed and is showing up for now. We dare not send it any recordings we care to keep as whatever problem afflicted the first drive might get the second, considering the issue apparently isn't pinned down. Additionally, our drive at first only periodically disappeared and could be resurfaced by resetting the hopper, but after some time, it refused to repopulate on the list of sources.

I have tried our original drive (with the recordings held hostage) on all ports of the hopper3 and plugged it into a computer. The computer acknowledged the drive, installed drivers, said the drive is ready to use and created an eject hardware prompt in the task bar, so I believe the drive is functional and should be accessible to the hopper. I tried the cable from the new drive with the old drive just to rule out a cable issue, this didn't help. The new drive prompted pop ups from the hopper whenever it was removed and plugged into a different port, so it seems to be recognized on all ports.

If the issue were truely brand/model dependant, it is quite strange that a new hard drive of the same type would be recognized but that the drive with our recordings on it is not. Perhaps that might provide some clue as to what is going on.

I would also note that, at first, our hard drive would disappear but could be brought back by resetting the hopper, but after a time, it would not come back at all. It has likely been at least 4 months since the drive disappeared completely, I am not entirely certain for how long it was questionably available.

At the time of this writing, we are on software version: U526 11/16/2018 and our hard drive is still missing in action.

JrodS
Character Actor

Same here, I can get the drive back by unplugging the drive, unplug the USB cable, resetting the hopper, power up the drive and then plug in the usb. But after a time, it will not show the drive and I have to repeat the process again to get the drive to show.

DISH Employee

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding this matter. It appears that this hard drive issue is still being review by our engineering team, I have added your name to the list of customers being affected. The Engineering team takes our reports and will look at the report within 3 - 4 days. After they look into them, they try to recreate the issue. If they are able to do that,  then they will look into what's causing the issue and how to resolve it. Finally, once they do find the cause and solution they will update us with a timeline. They whole process will take a minimum of 14 days. However, depending on how complex the issue is, if they are able to recreate it, and the information regarding the issue this can take longer than the 14 days as this is the minimum estimation of a resolution time.

MikeL
Extra
Is there an update on the resolution of this issue?

dac1953
Character Actor

I'm thinking that someone gave up. Since there's been no communication or resolution.

DISH Employee

Hi there, MikeL! It looks like we don't have any updates just yet, but our engineering team does need your help with some more detailed information about your issue.

Can you please send me a private message with your phone number and 4 digit security code so we can send a report up? You can find the how-to here: https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039

glennkinard
Extra

I would like to join the club of those for which the Hopper will not recognize the hard drive. 

Highlighted

DISH Employee

Oh no Glennkinard! Not you too! Please send me a PM with your phone number and 4 digit security code so I can get you added as well. You can find the how-to here: https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039

glennkinard
Extra

I just sent you the information.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Glenn