Hopper: Undependable

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper: Undependable

wvricky2
Costume Designer
I have been having DVR issues with this replacement Hopper I received 31 days ago. Like others, I have been getting lots of blank screens on recordings upon attempted playback. It has become an epidemic of vast proportions. Of course, I exaggerate. But it is becoming frustratingly maddening. The red record light will be on, the DVR menu will indicate the recording is taking place. But on attempted playback, blank screen, no video or audio. Just a progress bar that means nothing because there is nothing to see or hear.
It happened twice yesterday. It is really irritating when you record a big game and assume all is well because the red record light is on, and the DVR menu indicates recording is in progress. It happened during the WVU - TCU basketball game and the NFL playoff game last night. Both times, these were the only recordings scheduled, so no conflicts.
We are paying DVR fees ($12.00 per month, in my case) and would like to see more dependability. I am not feeling any sense of trustworthiness or reliability in the Hopper since the new UI and new software has been put into older Hoppers and put back into the field, either as new Hoppers for new customers, or replacement Hoppers for current customers. Thank you.
Tags (3)
10 Replies

Re: Hopper: Undependable

DISH Employee
A couple of things I need to check with you. Where is the Hopper located in the home? Is it in a cabinet or is anything stacked on top of it? Can you tell me the Software Version of this Hopper having the issue?

wvricky2
Costume Designer
Hi, Mike H. I sent you a PM earlier. It apparently failed to reach you. So I have just tried again. Both show in my outbox. Hope you receive one of them. They are both the same. The same recording failure just happened again. The AFC Wild Card Game at 1:00 Eastern Time failed. The red record light came on. The DVR menu indicated it was recording, but it was not. I stopped the failed recording and switched to the game and began recording. This is becoming a very frustrating issue. I record everything. I very seldom watch "live" TV. I cannot trust this to record. I t records at the proper time, but so often, there is nothing but blank screen. Here is the info you requested. Software Version - U224, 12 - 20 - 2016, 1:23 A.M. Application Software - AN242. Transceiver Firmware - 0060. Bootstrap Version - 1415. Thank you.

gacoon
Camera Crew
Yes that software release is full of bugs. See this thread:

https://support.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20456

wvricky2
Costume Designer
Hi, gacoon. Thank you for the thread. I am becoming somewhat short on patience. It is becoming a gigantic headache.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Have you updated your Hopper?

wvricky2
Costume Designer
Hi, e38BimmerFN. I am not aware that I could do that. The Hopper has done 2 Software Version updates on its own, on 12-08-16 and 12-20-16. The U224 Software Update on 12-20-16 is when the problem became very frequent and a royal pain. Still happening. I did see in one of the menu screens something about UPGRADING, not updating, the Hopper, and it would take about thirty minutes. Is that what you meant? Thank you.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
One in the same.

Yes, however the update/upgrade takes longer. I turned mine off at midnight the other night and came back the next evening and checked, and saw it completed at 4am/U336. So this is the reason why the Hopper needs to be left off and alone with out any recording events if you want to try this.

DISH Employee
wvricky2 wrote:
Hi, Mike H. I sent you a PM earlier. It apparently failed to reach you. So I have just tried again. Both show in my outbox. Hope you receive one of them. They are both the same. The same recording failure just happened again. The AFC Wild Card Game at 1:00 Eastern Time failed. The red record light came on. The DVR menu indicated it was recording, but it was not. I stopped the failed recording and switched to the game and began recording. This is becoming a very frustrating issue. I record everything. I very seldom watch "live" TV. I cannot trust this to record. I t records at the proper time, but so often, there is nothing but blank screen. Here is the info you requested. Software Version - U224, 12 - 20 - 2016, 1:23 A.M. Application Software - AN242. Transceiver Firmware - 0060. Bootstrap Version - 1415. Thank you.

I have just responded to your PM.

wvricky2
Costume Designer
Hi, e38BimmerFN. Thank you, for the tip.