Hopper HDD liquid damage, any suggestions?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper HDD liquid damage, any suggestions?

Greetings all,
I'm going to apologize in advance if this information is covered under other posts, but with everything I'm dealing with I hope most will understand if I'm double posting. I am in Houston, TX and I lost my home to flooding during Hurricane Harvey. While I was still evacuated, I called Dish who was extremely understanding & helpful by "freezing" my account until further notice. Once I was able to return after the flood waters had receded, of course, my Hopper had set under water. Well, I pulled the cover and put it in a container of rice, dumping rice directly onto the circuit board and let it set for about 2-3 weeks. After this, I drained the rice & put the cover back on and plugged it in to power. Lights came on and I had it hooked to a TV, and the Hopper start up screen initiated. I bypassed the no signal and went to DVR and YAY!! :D there were my 200-300 movies, videos, shows. I clicked on 1 or 2 and it started playing. I disconnected and took to my temporary home to watch, and when I reconnected: :x BOO!! Hard drive is now showing as failed when I run diagnostic check, it won't spin, when I hit reset it gives the quick whir and immediately stops. What have I done, can I recover any of this without spending a fortune? I called Drivesavers who had offered Hurricane victims free recovery but that ended 1 week before I called and they gave me a general quote of $1,500-$2,500. About 10 times what I can currently afford with everything else I'm dealing with. Please? Any suggestions?? Thanks so much!!
4 Replies

Re: Hopper HDD liquid damage, any suggestions?

DISH Employee
Hello! I hate to hear that you have been impacted by the hurricane. I certainly understand your concerns and want to make sure we do everything we can to assist you. When the hard drive is showing that it failed, does it provide you with an error number on the top right corner?

Hi SamanthaF,
thank-you for your reply. I believe that an error number did come up on the screen, I can't now recall but I was thinking it was 311. Also, I ran the Diagnostics and the area listing "Hard Drive" had a red X, listing as "issue".
But this evening after work I will plug the Hopper up and get a confirmation of error number and if it is listed in top right corner. I have attempted to power up the Hopper 2 or 3 times, and have even gotten to the "Menu" screen where I can click around on different Icons, but now it gives a response of something similar to [u:5b4l02lh]hard drive access required,contact dish[/u:5b4l02lh] I will post the results after I've checked this evening. Anything else I should be looking for? Thanks

DISH Employee
You are most welcome! Contacting us when you get home sounds perfect. The best thing would be to Private Message when you get home, with your phone number and 4 digit PIN so we can access your account. This will allow us to look into your account to see what steps we need to do for the specific error message showing on your TV.

SamanthaF,
I have submitted the information requested in PM.