Hopper HD failure?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper HD failure?

TLBGRB
Extra
We have had a hopper for 2+ years, and it has been wonderful and worked flawlessly until just recently. Now we are experiencing some odd glitches with it, and I am wondering how I can tell if the hard drive is getting ready to fail. When trying to play back a show, I will select it, and get a description, but more and more often the description is for a different program entirely (usually the show to the right or left of it). We are also having trouble with playback in both live and recorded modes freezing, hanging, etc. Sometimes the sound will drop out completely and it will get choppy, but if you hit the back button it plays fine the 2nd time around. Suggestions for troubleshooting would be welcome.
7 Replies

Re: Hopper HD failure?

DISH Employee
Hello, we're sorry to hear that you are experiencing technical issues. Here is a link with some easy troubleshooting steps you can try to correct this issue: https://www.mydish.com/support/frozen-video. If the issues persist be sure to contact us again so we can run a full diagnostics on your receiver. You can also, check the status of your hard drive by doing the following at your main Hopper: DISH Remote > press Menu/Home 3 times > Status > Check Status. In the field labeled "D" it will let you know the current status of the Hard Drive. Please note, you can only run the "Check Status" when your receiver is not recording PrimeTime Anytime recordings.

scotar
Audio Engineer
Also, listen close to the unit. If you hear a grinding or the dreaded "tick of death" the HD is failing.

TLBGRB
Extra
After running diagnostics, resetting everything, etc, we have discovered that the problem is only occurring in one room. That tv connects through a wireless Joey. I do not know if it is the Joey or the tv causing the issue. Is it possible to simply swap the Joey out with another one in the home, or are they tied to their specific locations?

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Wireless Joey's can easily be moved to any TV, just unplug and reconnect to different TV (or HD computer monitor). If it's a hard drive problem it's not the Joey, because only the Hopper has a hard drive, Joey's just stream from the Hopper.

DISH Employee
Does the freezing issue only happen on recordings, or live TV too?

If you select the same recording from the Hopper, do you have this issue? When the recording freezes, are you able to access the Guide?

tobyshouse
Character Actor
I only got about a year from my original hopper before the hard drive failed. It failed because of the way dish designed the receiver... Only 1 cheap fan was installed far away from the hard drive which causes way too much heat to build up inside the receiver. I had the same issues described by TLBGRB

After i got my replacement hopper i bought some usb cooling fans to better cool the receiver. I put 1 fan on the rear, side, and bottom and i'm currently going on over 2 years now. If you put your hand on top of the receiver near middle right it is almost too hot to touch without any additional cooling added...

I was lucky to have been able to transfer my old recordings to a external hard drive before complete failure of the first hard drive.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
tobyshouse wrote:
I only got about a year from my original hopper before the hard drive failed. It failed because of the way dish designed the receiver... Only 1 cheap fan was installed far away from the hard drive which causes way too much heat to build up inside the receiver. I had the same issues described by TLBGRB

After i got my replacement hopper i bought some usb cooling fans to better cool the receiver. I put 1 fan on the rear, side, and bottom and i'm currently going on over 2 years now. If you put your hand on top of the receiver near middle right it is almost too hot to touch without any additional cooling added...

I was lucky to have been able to transfer my old recordings to a external hard drive before complete failure of the first hard drive.

Although I do recommend a small cooling usb fan, it's joy necessarily the design. They have to be within certain criterias, so it's the best with what can work. That said, I had all 3 Hoppers on different accounts running for years with no issues, and no extra equipment. I leave each of the DVRs(and TVs) mounted on top of an open wood top, and atleast 6 inches of spear around it, front back and sides. Underneath the wood is more air(a 2nd shelf made up of metal bars that houses game systems accessories, and other nic nac's. Simply put, the best thing for the receivers is air, air and more air.