Hopper 3 wireless joeys lose connection every 48 hours

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper 3 wireless joeys lose connection every 48 hours

gdhutchinson
Costume Designer
My wireless joeys lose their connection at 8:10 PM every other night. Requires a reset of the hopper 3 to get them connected again. Is there some type of 48 hour timer in the hopper 3/ WAP? This has happened 3 times now. Reset of the WAP does not restore the MoCA connections, only a reset of the hopper clears the issue.
Gary D Hutchinson
38 Replies

Re: wireless joey looses connection every 48 hours

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
The Joeys and Hopper are all connected via RG6 cabling?
Might check all connections and any splitters.

Are you using a wireless router with the Hopper? What is the Mfr and model of the main host router?
Try doing a factory reset on the Joeys and see what happens.

Also a alternative suggestion, you can connect the Joeys via CAT6 LAN cable to the hopper, either directly or using a wireless bridge that's connected to the main host router.
What I use:
[url:3us29ho7]https://support.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18366&start=10#p107624[/url:3us29ho7]

gdhutchinson
Costume Designer
I have 3 wireless joeys connected to a hopper 3 through a dish WAP. So far every 48 hours (8:10PM) they loose the MoCA connection. This has happened 3 times over the last 6 days at the exact same time. Tried resetting the WAP and joeys, no change. Reset the hopper and the joeys go to searching for the hopper to finally reconnecting. I can't think of anything that would happen exactly at the same time after being on for 48 hours.
All the cabling to the Hopper 3 is Quad RG 6. The router isn't an issue since the MoCA connection is through the dish WAP. I'm wondering if there is some type of "keep Alive" signal between the hopper3 and the WAP. If it was random I would suspect a cable or some type of physical connection issue but the every 48 hours over 6 days has me stumped.
Gary D Hutchinson

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Mine is doing it at the 1 am update time - but not every night either. Has worked without issue since getting it a year ago, this started more recently after a WJ software update & has happened on & off since. So far no way to fix that I can find.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
You might test one of the Joeys connected with CAT6 LAN cable from the back of the Joey to the main host router and see if this one joey looses connection, if not, then there maybe a problem with the wireless AP. Or go direct RG6 with the Joey to the Hopper and see.

Also to be sure that all units are getting a upgrade. Leave ALL units in the Idle or OFF position over night and don't have any events scheduled between midnight and 6am. ]

Any wireless neighbors near by? How many?
Any other wifi near by like your main host router?

gdhutchinson wrote:
I have 3 wireless joeys connected to a hopper 3 through a dish WAP. So far every 48 hours (8:10PM) they loose the MoCA connection. This has happened 3 times over the last 6 days at the exact same time. Tried resetting the WAP and joeys, no change. Reset the hopper and the joeys go to searching for the hopper to finally reconnecting. I can't think of anything that would happen exactly at the same time after being on for 48 hours.
All the cabling to the Hopper 3 is Quad RG 6. The router isn't an issue since the MoCA connection is through the dish WAP. I'm wondering if there is some type of "keep Alive" signal between the hopper3 and the WAP. If it was random I would suspect a cable or some type of physical connection issue but the every 48 hours over 6 days has me stumped.

Re: Hopper 3 wireless joeys lose connection every 48 hours

gdhutchinson
Costume Designer
Update, all wireless Joeys failed again at 8:13 PM Saturday night, 48 hours after last reset of the hopper 3.
Now have one wireless joey connected directly to the gig router instead of the Dish WAP. Also have added a Joey 2 connected by rg6 to the solo node. Tonight should be when the outage will recur so waiting to see which joeys fail and require a reboot of the hopper 3.
Gary D Hutchinson

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Be sure to disable or turn OFF the WAP since it's not needed for this test...

peggyrh
Associate Producer
It's something in the last software update to the WJ, that's when mine started behaving the same way (or it could be the H3 itself causing it, hard to know). Prior to that the WJ had worked perfectly for a year, so it's not the actual internet setup since I'm having no other problems. Dish rep Mike H has been made aware, probably would be helpful if you sent him a PM with the details too.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
If you could connect one of your Joeys via LAN cable to the Hopper and see if the problem continues or not. Would be helpful information for DISH to know.

Wonder if there is a channelization issue. Can wireless channels be changed on the WAP?

peggyrh wrote:
It's something in the last software update to the WJ, that's when mine started behaving the same way (or it could be the H3 itself causing it, hard to know). Prior to that the WJ had worked perfectly for a year, so it's not the actual internet setup since I'm having no other problems. Dish rep Mike H has been made aware, probably would be helpful if you sent him a PM with the details too.

gdhutchinson
Costume Designer
Update,
Outage was a little later tonight, 8:16 pm. Wireless joeys all lost the connection to the hopper. joey 2 stayed up.
One wireless was connected via cat 5 to the router, the other two were connected to the WAP. Tried resetting the WAP, no change. Reset of the hopper 3 all wireless back up after about 5 minutes. The 48 hours seems to be the time from the last hopper reset and that is why it is a few minutes different each time. Since the joey2 stayed up (connected to the solo node) it seems to be something in the hopper that drops the connection after 48 hours.
Sent PM to Mike H of dish but haven't heard back. Calling dish tomorrow in the AM.
Gary D Hutchinson