Hopper 3 will not send display to TV

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: llRe: Hopper 3 will not send display to TV

Markk
Character Actor

I also upgraded to Hopper 3 and now have the same problem.  I had 3 of the original Hoppers on 2 Sharp TVs (2 on my current TV) and NEVER had this issue, so it does not seem as if it can be a problem with the TVs.  The TV did not cause this problem with any previous gen Hopper.

And how many engineers are working on this problem full time?  Or is this problem only important enough to get 2 minutes per day?  What is the real story?

Re: Hopper 3 will not send display to TV

DISH Employee

We definitely get your frustration with this known issue, Markk. We haven't been given a timeline on this, but our Engineering Team is still working to get this fully resolved.

If you'd like to send us a Private Message with your account/phone number and 4 digit security code, I'll be happy to get your information added to the report.

Here are the steps for sending a Private Message: 

https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039

twd
Extra

Hello,

Our tech wasn't even aware that this happens when he installed it however I need to be VERY clear.  We *DO NOT* have a Sharp tv, ours is an LG and worked perfectly with Directv previously as well as Dish before that.  So...since it isn't my tv and I am NOT going to change to component cables/lower resolution when is Dish going to have an update to the Hopper 3 to resolve this?  I would like to see an actual date committment since this is obviously a wide spread issue.

Thanks,

Craig
Camera Crew

The Dish support staff have been very polite in this thread and I appreciate that.  However, it is clear there is a lot of guessing on their part regarding this issue.   This thread has been going on for five months and the Dish suport staff have said they have reported to the engineers probably a dozen times.      

After five months, what we really need is an actual engineer to post here and give us a real update.  Not just guessing, but an actual report of what they have found (if anything), or what kind of timeline we can expect.  Even if it is bad news, it is better than no news, or guesses. 

While this is only one thread among many, it should be taken seriously.   Before I found this thread I spent a lot of time trying to resolve this on my own or with support.  The Dish support kept blaming the TV.  Today, I feel cheated because Dish knew this was an issue with my TV before asking me to sign a two year contract for the Hopper 3.   I have to imagine this is affecting thousands of frustrated Dish customers who don't even know this thread exists and don't realize it really is a Dish issue (because Dish support tells them it is the fault of their TV).  Frankly, that sounds almost like fraud or even class action lawsuit territory.

Is it possible for an engineer to respond here and provide some accurate information on the status of this?  Thanks!

Chiliog
Camera Crew

I bought a better hdmi cable, one that is directional.   I have had it connected since Friday.   It seems to have helped some.  I’ve only had to unplug one time from my Sharp 60” tv.  Whether or not this is a fix, I’ll see how it does over the next few days.  Costco has a 

2 pack of the cables for $16.  The 5 techs that have tried to fix the start up problem never tried the directional cable they use, would have been first thing to do one would think.  

CoSatGuy
Costume Designer

I think it is just a coincidence.  HDMI cables are digital, either they work or they don't with the required throughput.  "High Quality" HDMI cables are a scam.  When a Dish employee tells you to "try different or better quality HDMI cables" or "move your Hopper to a new location", it like a computer tech telling you to "reboot your computer" when you have an issue.  Its just the first thing they every say.

If Dish engineers are really looking at this, they should look at the Hopper 3 firmware and compare the HDMI code to that of the Hopper 2.  I never have this issue in 6 years with my Sharp TV and the old Hopper.  But, I don't think anyone is looking at it.

Chiliog
Camera Crew

Well directional hdmi wasn’t a fix.  I had a CSR agent tell me to put my big screen in my bedroom and use my 32” bedroom tv in my den.  Does Dish have any intentions to correct software/ firmware or just to get our personal user info so we won’t post on this forum and others can’t see what problems the Hopper 3 has.  I have a case manager that does his best to avoid my requests.  

Markk
Character Actor

I believe that a fix is NOT coming.  If the engineers actually were working on this problem, it should be fixed by now, after all these months.  Dish seems to be clinging to the hope that we will believe it is a Sharp problem eventually, when it obviously is not.  Somebody may have to sue them before it gets fixed. It is baffling since Dish (I have used Dish for 20 years) has previously been so good about solving these issues.  

CoSatGuy
Costume Designer

I agree.  Hey Dish, if you are really working on this, how about an estimated timeframe until a fix and an update from your engineering team?  

Have you escalated this to management?  If not, it should be as it is affecting many customers.

BTW, it not just with Sharp TVs, I have seen it twice now on my new Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.  Its even more of a pain on that TV because if I unplug the HDMI cable to get the Hopper 3 to display through the HDMI, the "smart" tv wants to run the setup on that HDMI port again.

This is not a problem with TVs, it IS A HOPPER 3 defect.

@Markk If you file a law suite, count me in towards a class action.

DISH Employee

These issues often require multiple account examples to isolate the problem, so each time that it is reported helps. The timeliness of resolution depends on what the issue is and the resolution needed s we cannot guarantee a time by which the issue will be resolved. Our Engineering team and Technical Operations team will continue to work together to find the correct resolution. We absolutely thank you for your patience during this time.