Hopper 3 will not send display to TV

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hopper 3 will not send display to TV

PBNSJ557
Extra

Tried contacting Dish.  Wanted me to run through trouble shooting steps. Advised after being a satelite user for going on 20 years I had already done my trouble shooting. I asked about this issue and if he could see if techs were working on it.  Would not even approach answering this. Kept wanting to schedule a service person to come out to my house for $95.00. I explained had only been back with Dish for 2 weeks and had this issue since day one. He kept wanting to send a tech out and charge me.  I advised him that would be a cold day in hell that I would pay for a tech visit for their issue.

DISH Employee

I can certainly understand your frustration We definitely want to get your services/equipment working properly. If we are unable to resolve your issue over the phone our next recourse is to send out at technician. I'd be pleased to take a look at your account to see what options are available for us getting a technician out to you. May you please provide me with your phone number, and security pin in a private message so that I may access your account?

buckeye
Extra

Having exactly same problem, just got upgrade from Hopper w/Sling and Joey 1 to Hopper 3 and Joey 3.

The Joey 3 will not send HDMI signal to TV.  There was no issue with the Joey 1 connected to same TV.  Technician tried two different Joey 3s and same result.  Sometimes HDMI will work by re-booting or removing/re-inserting HDMI cable.  Technician left it connected via composite video cables.

TV is Toshiba 19AV500U (19" LCD over 10 years old).

I can hook laptap to TV hdmi input and works like a charm.

Seems like an issue with the Joey 3 (since the Joey 1 worked fine with same TV).

Remote is 54.0.

Frustrating when an upgrade turns into a downgrade.

DISH Employee

Hello Buckeye. This is certainly something we haven't encountered before, and we'd be happy to see how we can assist you. Can you please send us a private message with your account information? 

Here are -step-by-step instructions on how to send a PM https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039 

Kip
Character Actor

To DISH - I am still convinced this problem is in the software that performs the HDMI "Handshake" between the Dish unit and the TV.  As I understand it, the purpose of this handshake is to "authenticate" the device on the other end of the HDMI.  Should the handshank occur too quickly (before the TV is ready to accept the request and correctly respond), I can see why it would fail and would also explain why those who unplug and replug the HDMI cable (forcing another handshake) could sometimes find that the problem is corrected.

I would ask that your tech specifically look at the error recovery steps that the DISH goes through in the event of an authentification error.  It may simply be a timing error that the DISH is expecting a correct response faster than the TV/ switch/cable can respond with. 

If nothing else, I would like a specific answer as to if the techs have delved into timing errors and tried a short pause between issuance of the authification request and the vetting of the response.

I believe I speak for the group - if adding a 1 second delay to achieve a successful connection is required, it is time much better spent than dealing with workarounds that don't work or forcing customers to upgrade HDMI cables, adding external switch, buying a newer TV, etc. etc.

The Hopper technology is far too good to have its acceptance and reputation soiled by what should be a very simple fix.

Your comments to this suggestion is appreciated and expected.

gibber73
Extra

I accidentally solved this problem. I installed a 4K HDMI Splitter.  You run HDMI from Hopper to splitter and then run HDMI line from Splitter to TV. You need two HDMI lines to do this. I don't know why it works, but the problem went away. Here is a link to the splitter I used.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VFSS69R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It comes with a remote that you don't need to use unless you have more than one video input going into it that you would need to switch between the inputs. Just put it in the line and it fixes the problem. I only have the hopper plugged into it, so I don't use the remote. Just make sure the switch is tuned to the input that the hopper is hooked up to.

gibber73
Extra

I think the reason the splitter fixes this problem is it mimics unplugging  and plugging HDMI cable back in.  I got the idea to do this, when I saw that in other replys that said unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in caused the signal to connect.

akthomas1
Extra

Sceptre X425BV-FHD - Hopper 3 HDMI connection fried receiver. Power light on, sound but no picture, then no picture or sound, Then no reponse, not even Sceptre logo when warming up. no response form physical buttons other than power light on. Solution: Turn on unit with remote. Enter numbers 2143 (to enter setup). Get No media message.on screen. Connect to Hopper 3 with component cables. Now seems to function normally. WTF????

akthomas1
Extra

@akthomas1 wrote:

Sceptre X425BV-FHD - Hopper 3 HDMI connection fried receiver. Power light on, sound but no picture, then no picture or sound, Then no reponse, not even Sceptre logo when warming up. no response form physical buttons other than power light on. Solution: Turn on unit with remote. Enter numbers 2143 (to enter setup). Get No media message.on screen. Connect to Hopper 3 with component cables. Now seems to function normally. WTF????

Never mind!  Failed again.  Replacing TV.  Sorry guys!