Hopper 3 will not send display to TV

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hopper 3 will not send display to TV

Craig
Camera Crew

This thread has been around for 10 months, has over 150 customer complaints, and probably 20-30 posts by Dish employees stating that the Dish engineers are "hard at work on it."  And yet, there is stil no resolution and no response here from anyone at Dish that can actually shed some light on it.  Nothing.  Crickets.

This notion that keeps getting tossed out here that Dish engineers have been working on this day and night for months is an insult to them and all of us.   Clearly nothing is being done nor does Dish particularly care about its customers (how much effort is it to post a simple status update here after all these months?)

I don't get it - people are leaving cable and satellite companies in droves.  And yet Dish customer service (the one area that many people are still willing ot pay more for) is almost non-existant.  Dish employees have repeatedly posted here that the Dish engineers are all over the problem, but after months of complaints, have never presented any evidence of it.   Customer service isn't about just telling customers what you think they want to hear. It also requires actually following up, doing something, and being honest and developing trust with your customers.

I have tried every suggestion in this thread, including spending a small fortune on all the HDMI cables that have been recommeded in it.  I can't fix this on my end, and Dish refuses to allow an engineer (the only person that can actually help) to make a simple post here updating us.  If they can't fix it, then have the decency to let us know so we can all move on.

In a way I feel cheated.  Dish "upgraded" me with the Hopper 3 for free as an incentive to sign a two year contract.  So now I am stuck for two years with a product that doesn't work and a customer service/engineering department that has no interest in helping.  How can I or anyone like me recommend Dish?

surferduck
Extra

I also have this issue with a Sharp TV. My "solution" for months has been to turn the TV off, press lots of buttons on the Dish remote while TV is off, then turn the TV back on while continuing to press multiple buttons on the remote. It works some of the time, but is definitely not a real solution.

My other fix is to press the reset button on the Hopper 3. It works, but takes a while, interrupts recordings, and is a general pain.

Reading this thread helps me realize the issue is not just mine. Sure would like to see a fix to this issue.

zeba22
Camera Crew

Well surferduck, this thread has been around quite awhile with no solution. Good luck getting any help from dish. "our engineers are working on it" is all you'll hear. If you read through the posts, you will find workarounds for the problem, but you won't be getting what your paying for.

I myself am just waiting for the contract to expire so I can move on from this experience.

Craig
Camera Crew

Disappointingly, a year later and there is still no response from anyone knowledgable at Dish regarding this issue.  Evidently, no one at Dish is working on it, or even cares enough to take 2 minutes to give an update here (IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT THEN JUST SAY IT SO WE CAN ALL MOVE ON). 

Clearly, Dish has made a business decision to work on locking in new subscribers with long term contracts.  Once the contract is signed and the subscriber has committed to paying, then Dish looks at them as a liablility and treats them accordingly.   You are only important until you sign the contract.  What they don't understand is that if they are loyal to their customers and provide a quality product with quality customer service, then many if not most of their customers will be loyal to them.  That is how long term successful businesses succeed.  I can't think of a more clear reason why Dish is losing subscribers every year to streaming services.  

For what it's worth, I spent this entire morning swapping out every cable to every HDMI port to see if the Hopper 3 just didn't like one of the ports.   It was a pain in the neck because I have a flush wall mounted TV.   Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem.

Craig
Camera Crew

BIG UPDATE!

After my last post, Dish sent me a congratulations for "earning" their "Six Month Anniversary Badge!"   The thing is, this is the only thread I have ever posted in.  How about just fixing the issue instead of congratulating me on being a long term unhappy customer? 

SMH, you can't make this stuff up.

ajenks
Extra

I am having the exact same problem I have a LG TV

ajenks
Extra

I just signed up with Dish a week ago, coming from Direct TV. I am having the same problem with my LG TV. I thought I was losing my mind until I found this thread. After reading through this thread I believe I'm just going to have Dish come pick up thier junk, it's obvious that there is no fix coming in the near future. Being that it's only been a week since my install, the installer said I had 15 days if I didn't like the service to cancel, I'm going to take him on on that. It's really to bad, I was looking forward to saving some money on my TV bill and the Hopper 3 did have some features that I liked. 

Craig
Camera Crew

Let's see, it has been over a year since this thread was started, with about 200 customer complaints in the thread regarding the same problem, and 13 Dish responses in the thread stating the hard working Dish engineers are all over it, day and night.

Yet still, not a single response from a knowledgable Dish employee regarding the issue.  No engineers, no customer service employees, no managers, no one, period. 

It takes about 15 seconds to write "update coming next week."   

Or 2 minutes to write "okay this is the problem, just do this....". 

Or 30 seconds to write "sorry, our product is defective and we can't fix it.  You will have to live with it."

Or 45 seconds to write "we at Dish really don't care so we will continue to ignore this thread to prove it.  We live for threads like this because we really get a kick out of ticking off customers, making them feel unappreciated, and driving them to our competition."

Yes, I am being a little sarcastic, but by Dish choosing to ignore their customers in this thread, they are making a very strong statement (especially since it has been over a year) that Dish just doesn't care.   All anyone asked for was some sort of input or update from Dish in this thread.  Anything.  If Dish can't fix it, then just say so.  We can live with that.  Ignoring hundreds of paying customers should NEVER be an option in any business.  Assuming their leadership wants to remain in business, that is.  Makes one wonder what kind of leadersip is acutually in charge.

Not to mention that the vast majority of customers suffering from this problem have no idea this thread exists.  So while there are 200 complaints in this thread, there are likely thousands, maybe tens of thousands of customers that don't know this thread exists and are being told they are the only ones on the planet with this problem.  I was fortunate enough to find this thread after a few months of frustration, and it helpd to find out that the problem was not me.  Most Dish customers are still in the dark.  

The irony is that companies like Dish and the tradtional cable/dish firms are slowly dying.  Everyone is starting to move off these services (cutting cables).  One would think the business plan would be "we can't compete directly with the cable cutter products, so let's create great customer service so our customers will be more likely to stay and recommend us!"  Instead, they leave customers stranded for over a year without a single helpful comment from anyone that can actually contribute useful information.  Maybe, just maybe, people are not leaving Dish because they want to cut the cable, but because Dish customer service is so bad, they feel like they have no choice (like me - just waiting for my contract to expire). 

If you are a potential Dish customer that stumbled across this thread, you should definitely consider what you are getting into.  Dish will offer you all kinds of perks to get you to sign a long term contract (that you can't get out of).  They will not tell you that if you have a problem, you will be on your own.

DISH Employee

We absolutely get why you would be upset in this situation, Craig, and do apologize for the experience you've been having with your equipment. We'd love to check some things with your equipment to help get this resolved.

Will you send a Private Message with your account/phone number and 4 digit security code, please? 

Here are the steps for sending a Private Message: https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039

Kip
Character Actor

In January, I added 2 replies to this issue.  The last one spoke to the probable cause of lost HDMI sync between the Hopper 3 and the Samsung TV.  This is only occuring when I attempt to access the Netflix app.  At no other time have I noticed this issue.  There is a single HDMI cable connecting the Hopper to the TV; this error has never happened when using that connection to view Dish channels, menu and service screens or anything else.  The Dish Netflix app sync has gotten so unreliable that I no longer use it to view Netflix so I have reverted to watching Newflix via my Blu-Ray DVD player.  Interestingly, after finishing watching Netflix and switching back to the Hopper, the Hopper App often has synced with the TV,

I am absolutely convinced that there is a bug in the timing of the sync or sync error recovery or when the Hopper experiences a failed HDMI "handshake".  I should add that the error does not happen on either a wired Joey or wireless Joey; only on the Hopper.