cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Hopper 3 will not send display to TV

zeba22
Camera Crew

Another thing of note. I have the Joey hooked up on another tv that does not have this problem. Don't know if it helps but it is another piece of info

CoSatGuy
Costume Designer

I have not seen this on my Joey either.  I think this issue only affects the HDMI output on the Hopper 3 itself.  It just seems to stop sending a signal at some point if the TV is off.  It is strange that disconnecting/reconnecting the HDMI cable resolves the issue.  I would think that with HDMI-CEC disabled, the Hopper should just always send the signal.

Can anyone from DISH confirm that you have let the Hopper 3 firmware engineering team know about this issue so they can look into it?

Other than zeba22 and myself, have other reported this issue?

zeba22, by chance is the TV that you are having the problem with a Sharp AQUOS model?

DISH Employee

Hello, Co SatGuy. We have left feedback to our Engineering team about this issue. Right now, it's likely they are trying to replicate the issue. It does help if we can attach an account to our reports. Would you mind sending me a Private Message with your phone number and 4-digit PIN please? 

zeba22
Camera Crew

redirect keeps sending me to the communities home page.

@CoSatGuy wrote:

I have not seen this on my Joey either.  I think this issue only affects the HDMI output on the Hopper 3 itself.  It just seems to stop sending a signal at some point if the TV is off.  It is strange that disconnecting/reconnecting the HDMI cable resolves the issue.  I would think that with HDMI-CEC disabled, the Hopper should just always send the signal.

Can anyone from DISH confirm that you have let the Hopper 3 firmware engineering team know about this issue so they can look into it?

Other than zeba22 and myself, have other reported this issue?

zeba22, by chance is the TV that you are having the problem with a Sharp AQUOS model?

As a matter of fact it is. HMMMMMMM

CoSatGuy
Costume Designer

So I thought I would update here in case others run into this issue.

DISH sent out a tech who said the wiring and some switches needed to be changed. He even changed the dish on the outside of the house and moved the hopper to a different location saying it was not getting enough air flow to cool.

This did not resolve the issue, so after having to yell at a DISH CSR and once again explain the details of my case and tell them that they had just sent out a tech to my house, they agreed to send me a new hopper 3.

I got a call from DISH backline support a few days later.  He was very helpful.  Interestingly, when I told him the problem, he asked if I had a Sharp TV.  I do.  Appearanyly he has seen similiar issues with Sharp TVs and Hopper 3 boxes.  

So, I plugged the new hopper in and started the configuration process.  It stalled at pairing the old remote to the new hopper because I had not unpaired it from the old hopper, so I unplugged the new hopper and plugged in the old hopper to unpair the remote.  When I plugged the new hopper back in to restart the configuration, it would not display on my Sharp TV.  I brought down a small TV from another room and plugged the hopper into that and the display worked and I finished the configuration.  I then plugged the hopper back into the Sharp TV.  No picture still.  So I ran component cables from the hopper to the component input of the Sharp TV.  As soon as I plugged in the component cables to both the hopper and the TV, the TV (while still on the HDMI input) displayed a picture!  I left the compont cables plugged in, but used the HDMI input on the TV.  The next day, the original issue happened again, so I have just been using the component input for the TV to view the hopper.

So my take aways:

The issue is probably not related to the hopper hardware.  I tried a new hopper box and have the same issue.

The issue may be with the hopper frimware or maybe the TV firmware.  I don't know

Using component cables instead of HDMI resolves the issue.  I am not sure if picture or sound quality is diminished using component cables over HDMI, but it seems the same.

I am not sure if this affects all Sharp TVs, but it certainly applies to Sharp model lc-60le845u

https://www.cnet.com/products/sharp-lc-60le845u/specs/

DISH Employee

Hello, CoSatGuy. I am with you on the thinking that it is not hardware related, and thank you for sharing you experience. I am under the impression that it is either the software/firmware on the Hopper or TV. I have already submit a report to our Engineer team about the issue. If it something wrong in our system they should be able to find out what's causing it and fix the issue. If anyone else is having this issue can you provide the brand/model of TV this is occurring on please? 

CoSatGuy
Costume Designer

I did state the brand/model in previous post.

Sharp model lc-60le845u

https://www.cnet.com/products/sharp-lc-60le845u/specs/

zeba22
Camera Crew

I have the Sharp Aquos model LC-70LE845U doing the same thing. Haven't tried the component cables yet. I will when I get I chance. Am not looking forward to the extra cable though.

DISH Employee

Thank you for the brand model, Zeba22! We're submitting this additional information to the engineers. The more information we have, the easier it will be for the engineers to replicate the problem, and find a solution. 

Markk
Character Actor

I am having same problem with my Sharp Aquos LC80LE632U.  Also, I sometimes lose the picture and sound while watching a DVR recording, and it has happened several times  while navigating through the Hopper 3 menus.