Hopper 3 will not send display to TV

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hopper 3 will not send display to TV

CoSatGuy
Costume Designer

Today I left my hopper 3 on, but turned my TV off.  I used to do this all the time with my old hopper so I could queue up a couple of hours of live news.  I would then turn the TV on and go back to fast forward through the news coverage.  Today, when I went to turn the TV back on, I noticed the hopper had turned itself off.  When I turned the TV on (not the hopper) nothing was displayed on the TV.  Turning hte hopper on also gave me a blank screen.  The hopper had not been left on long enough to time out due to inactivity.

Often, in the evenings, I will switch the HDMI input on my TV to play Xbox.  I do not turn the hopper off when I do this.  In the mornings, the hopper will not display to my screen.

So here is my theroy:

For some reason the hopper turns itself off if it does not detect it's output is being picked up by a TV.  When it does this, it will no longer display to the TV when turned back on unless the HDMI cable is disconnected/reconnected or the hopper is reset.

Please test this out in your labs so you can have your engineers fix this defect in the hopper 3.

Also, the hopper should not turn off if I turn off my TV or switch to a different HDMI input.

DISH Employee

Hello, Co Satguy. I know when going from the Hopper to the Hopper 3 that we have started including our 54.0 remote. This remote does turn off your TV and Hopper with the same POWER button. What could have happened in this case was the remote automatically put the Hopper into standby when you powered off your TV. Can you flip your remote to where the back of it is facing you and read off the number on the back please? 

I do agree that when the Hopper is in stand-by it is seemingly not being detected by your TV. I would be happy to forward this feedback to our Engineering Team to see if that can find out what's causing this.

CoSatGuy
Costume Designer

"Can you flip your remote to where the back of it is facing you and read off the number on the back please? "

Do you mean the remote # ?  If so, it is 54.0

"This remote does turn off your TV and Hopper with the same POWER button. What could have happened in this case was the remote automatically put the Hopper into standby when you powered off your TV. "

My remote is set to turn on/off both the hopper and the TV, but in my previous post when I said I turned off only the TV, I did that with the TV remote, not the hopper remote.

I have found that if the hopper is not sending a signal to the TV, that I can press the hopper remote power button, the TV will turn off immediately.  If I wait for > 5 minutes for the hopper to actually turn off, then sometimes turning the tv/hopper back on with the hopper remote will resolve the issue, sometimes not.

As I noted earlier.  I think the root cause of the issue is with the logic in the hopper that turns the unit off when it no longer detects a TV recieving a signal.  Turning off only the TV or switching the TV to a different HDMI inout while the hopper is on seems to cause this issue.  I think the resolution to this problem is to change the hopper logic to not turn the hopper off unless the end user presses the remote/console power button, or the unit hits the "Inactivity Timeout" which for me is the default of 4 hours.

DISH Employee

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Co Satguy. The Hopper should definitely not turn off because it loses a video signal, in general. It's actually pretty odd to hear that's what is happening. The only thing I can think of that would be causing this is if HDMI-CEC is on. Can you check if that option is on? Can I have you press the HOME button twice > Settings > Remote Control Settings. When you're on this page HDMI-CEC should be near the bottom. 

CoSatGuy
Costume Designer

I checked and HDMI-CEC is on.

What is this setting?

Should I turn it off?

Thanks

DISH Employee

HDMI-CEC is a feature of HDMI designed to allow users to command and control devices connected through HDMI inputs, by using only one remote control. Since this is on, try pressing the SAT button to turn the Hopper on, instead of the Power button. 

If that doesn't work, turn the HDMI-CEC setting off, and see if that works.

Highlighted

CoSatGuy
Costume Designer

I have turned HDMI-CEC off.  Now when I leave the hopper on and turn the TV off, the hopper does not go into shutdown mode and turn off automatically after 5 minutes, so that is good.  But unfortunately, this morning I had the same issue as before.

DISH Employee

Hi CoSatGuy. I'm glad to hear the it didn't power itself off, what issue have you noticed now that that has been figured out?

CoSatGuy
Costume Designer

This morning when I turned it on, the TV again had no signal.  I had to disconnect/reconnect the HDMI cable to get a picture.

DISH Employee

I see! In the menu settings of your TV do you have any HDMI-CEC settings that we can switch to "Off"? It sounds like the TV is still performing the HDMI-CEC power switch on the HDMI port itself, even though the Hopper is set to no longer respond to it.