Hopper 3 will not recognize one of my External Hard Drives.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper 3 will not recognize one of my External Hard Drives.

cnangel1997
Camera Crew

My two External Harddrives were working fine. About 3 weeks ago,  one of my Harddrives didn't show up, after unit was booted. I have a 2TB Drive, and my 1TB Drive isn't being recognized. It was almost full of my recordings. I have read many of the forum suggestions, but still no luck. I have switched ports, only 1 harddrive shows. My software version as of 9-5-2018 is U522. I don't have a smart card to pull out and put back in, but have done all the tricks. Any feedback as to what may be wrong? Funny how everything was going smoothly, then one day, I got this problem. I am really furstrated by what happened. If I have to reformat, I have to start over with the drive again, will I lose everything from my second harddrive recordings, or can I just unplug that harddrive, and plug it back in, after formatting? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

13 Replies

Re: Hopper 3 will not recognize one of my External Hard Drives.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer

Is it a self powered drive, or USB powered?

RobertG
Extra

After reading all these complaints about new Hoppers not recognizing EHD I am concerned about my upgrade scheduled for next week, and have a couple of questions for the community or the Dish pros that monitor this. 

Can I have more than one EHD attached to my Hopper w/Sling?  Either at the same time, or unplug one and plug in the other?  Can the tech who does the install move recordings from old Hopper w/Sling to the new Hoppper3?

I am having a hard time finding Dish-compatible EHD devices (USB 2.0/3.0, 2TB max, AC powered) at Amazon, Best Buys or MicroCenter.  Any suggestions? 

Is there anyway to move recordings from one EHD directly to another EHD without passing them through the Dish receiver?  The Dish Customer Service guy said I could use my computer for that, but I am wary of that suggestion.

Tonyparete
Character Actor

Mine is doing the same thing, working perfect now it is not

Highlighted

cnangel1997
Camera Crew

My drives are both power with adapters to plug in the wall oulet. I even purchased a new usb cable that goes to my external harddrive to the hopper port. still got the same problem. no drive showing thru the hopper 3. Have I lost my recordings forever? If not, how do I view them? I am very upset on this problem. 

RobertG
Extra

CNAngel 1997 - Do you have both hard drives attached at the same time to different USB ports.  If so, that has never worked for me.  My Hopper w/Sling will only recognize one EHD at a time.  Is it supposed to recognize more than one?

Re: Hopper 3 w/Sling will not recognize one of my Eternal Harddrives.

DISH Employee

There is no limit as to how many External Hard Drives can be used. They both may not work at the same time they are connected, but as long as both meet the requirements and use the USB cable they came with they should work.

We do currently have a known issue with the External Hard drives not being recognized on the Hopper systems. We don't have a timeline on when this will be fixed, but our Engineering team is researching the issue to work on a fix.

In order to get the most efficient resolution, feedback is absolutely necessary. Will you send me a Private Message with your account/phone number and 4 digit security code, to get some information and relay your feedback, please?

Here are steps for sending a Private Message: https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039

cnangel1997
Camera Crew

Yes, I have always had 2 hooked up at the same time. You are allowed up to 3 Tb on Drives. I have 1 that is 1TB and one that is 2TB, and I never had any problems with my drives, until about 3 weeks ago, as I stated in my post.

cnangel1997
Camera Crew

Jessica, are you asking for me (cnangel1997) to send you a private message with what info you request, or are you asking Robert, who asked me a question?

cnangel1997
Camera Crew

email me with a reply. Thank you.