Hopper 3 vs 2 Picture Quality

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper 3 vs 2 Picture Quality

MyDish8411
Extra
My Hopper with Sling can record 4 channels at once including the OTA tuner. The Hopper 3 can record 16 channels at once that is 4 times the data rate for the same received stations. Can the hard drive really record 4 times faster or is the Hopper 3 compressing the data before storage? Compression would explain comments about picture quality with the new unit.
6 Replies

Re: Hopper 3 vs 2 Picture Quality

The Hopper 3 does not record faster. They all records events as they air and picture quality is not impacted
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

MyDish8411
Extra
I did not understand Matt''s answer as the 2 sentences conflict. Let me ask the question another way. The Hopper 3 can record 16 HD channels at once compared to my Hopper 2 with 4 HD channels at once. That is 4 times more data per second. Can the hard drive accept 4 times the data rate or is the data compressed during recording by the receiver to obtain a manageable data rate. If the hard drive is mechanical there is more of a data rate limit than if it was a SSD. Is it an SSD?

tommyy2
Audio Engineer
I believe the hard disk can record the data even faster.
Everything coming down from the satellite already compressed, and the same satellite signals feed all the Dish receivers so I'd guess they all have the same compression (whatever Dish decides to use at the time it sends it up to the satellite). All the receiver would have to do is decode it and record it to disk. I also believe Dish controls the amount of compression changing it for certain shows/certain times, whatever they wants to do.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
It's not that the Harddrive would be recording faster. The H3 has 16 tuners. The Harddrive in a H2 could perform the same task as it is the same Harddrive, if the H2 had 16 tuners. It only has 3.

tommyy2
Audio Engineer
Chadt4141 wrote:
It's not that the Hard drive would be recording faster. The H3 has 16 tuners. The Harddrive in a H2 could perform the same task as it is the same Hard drive, if the H2 had 16 tuners. It only has 3.

Chad, think of what you just said. To be recording 16 shows at once you gotta be transferring data to the hard disk faster than if you are only recording 6 shows at once, (probably 16/6 times as fast (unless some added compression was added?)) and I'd bet the hard drive could transfer data even faster if called on to do that.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
What I said is that the H2 would be doing the same, if it had the tuners. No extra compression necessary.