Hopper 3 still not recording properly

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hopper 3 still not recording properly

DianeCox
Camera Crew
Thank you Robert. I appreciate your help.

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

On creating a manual timer

Actually, I have done something almost like this. I deleted the timer and used my OFF AIR tuners to record shows from ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX now. Since I live in a very strong signal area, I usually get a better picture than Dish supplies.  I would drop locals, but am worried that I would also loose all the guide info from those channels since you STILL do not populate the on screen guide with local, off air info. This is expecially annoying since I now have multiple off air tuners, so it could be easily done.

I have not tried a manual timer recording from the Dish signal, because my solution was better for me.

Oh, and thank you for the fix to Home Media. It mostly works now. Mostly. It hangs a lot, and fast forward and rewind do not work well at all. I still wish you would reprogram the skip forward and skip backwards buttons on the remote to do the same function they do on Dish channels, and NOT skip to the next or previous program. That is REALLY annoying. We have trained ourselves to hit skip back when we miss something, but if watching a show on Home Media, and you hit skip back, it jumps to the previous show in your library.  Not good. Then, you have to jump forward again, but the show you were watching starts over. And because Fast Forward is mostly useless, it makes watching home videos very unpleasant. I have moved that function to a Roku box. Yet another reason not to need Dish. 

Now I have Roku, and a decent off air, receiver with DVR,  and a Hulu subscription for most other things. I am VERY close to dropping Dish if quality on the STB does not improve. 

Thanks for listening. 

douggle
Extra

Funny that. I just had a chat with support and they insisted this is NOT a known issue after m

So y wife had called about this and was told it WAS an issue. I kept the chat log too. Then I was told a tech visit of $95 would be required or I could pay $8.99 for dish protect. ??!?!!? I am tired of paying for a service that is not working. I was hoping the Hopper 3 didn't still have this issue but it appears from this feed it does. My wife seems to think it happens after the show is two weeks old for some reason but not necesarily. we have several Designated Survivor and Deception shows that are last few minutes. A) Why is dish not doing anything about this B) why are they insisting on swidling customers for more $$ to look at an issue that has been going on for over a year?! I referenced the posting from the forum but the online tech said she could not open external links and there is NOT an existing issue in their system.

So Now I am stuck paying $8.99 for a Dish Silver which I was told I can cancel at any time

ME (03:25:16 GMT) : do you have access to other trouble tickets or an internal knowledge base that you can search for this issue? I'm curious if this is a DVR issue that can be solved with a newer Hopper.
ME (03:25:44 GMT) : it is specifically with ABC shows
TECH (03:25:47 GMT) : Yes, I'm not showing this as a known issue. I'll be happy to look into upgrading the Hopper if you'd like. 

ME (03:19:30 GMT) : So I have to pay someone $95 to press play on a show and see it will only play the last 9 minutes.
TECH (03:20:10 GMT) : I highly doubt the technician will come out to press Play. You do have the option of adding Dish Protect for $8.99 per month to cover the cost of your tech visit. 
ME (03:20:54 GMT) : If this issue is found to be a problem with your equipment then do I still get hit with the fee?
TECH (03:21:31 GMT) : The tech visit fee is not related to the cost of replacing equipment. If there is something wrong with the equipment itself, Dish will cover that. 

ME (03:35:06 GMT) : So you are saying if you add Dish Protect for $8.99 you get free tech visit and you can cancel that at any time. Thus getting you a tech visit for $8.99. Why would anyone pay $95?
TECH (03:35:37 GMT) : In some states, you're required to keep Dish Protect for 6 months. Otherwise there is a $30 removal fee. 
TECH (03:35:45 GMT) : That does not apply to California. 

douggle
Extra

We have the same issue. It's only ABC. We set up timers directly (search for the show listing using the search box and record the series from there - not saved from Prime Time Anytime). No error message. You just go to watch an older episode (older than 1-ish week) and it only has anywhere from the last 6 minutes to the last 45 minutes recorded. We thankfully have an old TiVo box that only has access to network channels so I set up a duplicate timer on that for all ABC shows now. 

DISH Employee

Douggle, thank you for providing this information. We do have reports that some recordings are missing the last few minutes. A work around we have seen that works is to delete the timer entirely from your saved timer list, search for the show through the guide, and set the timer for the recording. I do understand this is frustrating and we appreciate you letting us know about this, so we can let our engineer team know that you are mostly seeing this issue on shows being recorded on ABC, so they can target this specifically. 

Let's also double check the software is up to date. To check this, please press the Home button three times on the remote. It will take you to a Diagnostics page. What is the Software Version listed on this screen? 

I will also be happy to look over your account and check into the DISH Protect removal fee. To review this information, please send me a Private Message with your phone number and 4-digit pin.

jeremyw11
Extra
I'm having the exactly same problem! ABC shows like Modern Family or Blackish usually just record the last five minutes of the episode and some of the next show. I have deleted the timer twice and set up the timer again off the guide. It's been happening for months. Would really appreciate a fix.

DISH Employee

Jeremy, I am sorry to hear the work around did not work. Our engineer team is aware of this known issue and they are actively working on finding a resolution. Let's make sure your software is up to date. May you please press the Home button on the remote three times. It will take you to a Diagnostics page. May I have the Software Version?

8balljimmy
Camera Crew

for me its not ABC but USA it will record monday night raw for about 40 minutes and also smack down and then shuts off  I must say before I had the dual reciever  DVR  since 2006  never had any issues  I up graded to the hopper 3  three weeks ago and I  must also say this box has a lot of problems wish I had my old DVR 722 back

RickJLee
Character Actor

This happen to the Hopper and now the Hopper Sling as well.  WHEN IN DELAY----> Quote  "Why can't a delayed show (in progress) be recorded since it is obviously in the memory of the DVR even though a new show was airing? It will work if the program airing has not changed on the guide."  I even try it 2 3 & 4 times,  The Hopper will say it's recording and "recording already in progress" and then NOTHING! No red button to be seen, anywhere, on the Hopper, DVR, TV Activity, NO WHERE!!??  I thinks it's in your line of code, why else would it happen to all the Hopper Designs?

DISH Employee

I understand the frustration about not having the ability to record on a delayed program. This is working as the system is designed, as the Hopper records based on Guide information. Since the show has already ended in the Guide, the receiver is unable to record the show. 

This feature would be an amazing addition to the Hopper, and I'll be sure to forward it to our Engineers for you.