Hopper 3 reboot to watch 4k Netflix

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper 3 reboot to watch 4k Netflix

ITGuy
Extra

I have read many post on this subject but my issue is a little different.  This is my relevant equipment:

• Samsung QN75Q8FN 4k TV
  • Yamaha RX-V683 4k receiver
  • Netflix Premium Account w/4k
  • All HDMI cables are premium certified quality from monoprice and only 6' long
  • All devices on hardwired Cat6 ethernet (no wifi) with each node tested to 10ms ping, 298Mbit dn, 13.8Mbit up from my laptop
  • Hopper 3 with latest updates installed as of today

On the Hopper 3 in Netflix you can see the show's status before playing on the top left.  Most shows have the "HD".  I went into known Ultra HD programs like Planet Earth II and Godless, and they still showed "HD".  I reloaded and  logged out/logged in Netflix with no success.  I finally pulled the plug on the Hopper 3 and restarted it.  Finally success.  Netflix shows "Ultra HD" on those shows.  I watched an episode of Godless and Planet Earth II just fine.  Going into the input source status of the Samsung TV it verifies that the source is 3,840x2,160 UHD.  This isn't because the receiver is upconverting it.  Normal shows in HD show a status of 1,920x1,080 HD.

Now the problem.  I watch something like an episode of Godless in UHD and maybe another program just fine.  The next day I'll into Netflix to catch another show and now it drops back to normal HD.  Logging in/out and restarting Netflix has no improvement.  I have to restart the Hopper 3, either from the diagnostic menu or unplugging it, in order for Ultra HD in Netflix to work.  Something is happening to disable 4k Netflix on the Hopper when there is, I'm guessing, about 12+ hours or more from watching the last 4k show.  It's not just displaying HD where it should be displaying Ultra HD.  You can tell the difference in the picture.  I can verify the bandwidth on the TV and it really only plays in HD on known UHD programming.  I've also bypassed the receiver and went directy to the TV from the Hopper 3 with no difference.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Tags (2)
3 Replies

Re: Hopper 3 reboot to watch 4k Netflix

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
Honestly, sounds like a handshake error. Have you tried bypassing the AVR and go straight from Hopper rob tV and see if it works?

ITGuy
Extra

Yes, I have bypassed the AVR and gone straight from the Hopper to the TV with the same results.  Last night I tried it again and UHD was not working again after it was working the night before.  I had a few recordings going so I didn't want to reboot the Hopper.  This time all I did was to go into Netflix on the Hopper and tell it to "Reload Netflix".  This seems to bring back UHD programming.  I will do this a few more times to see if this is a work around.  While not a perfect fix it is a quick and acceptable solution when I want to watch a UHD program.

Thanks.

DISH Employee

That is an odd error, ITGuy! Have you tried resetting the Netflix App to Factory Defaults?

If not, let's see if that has an effect on the 4K Netflix content loading properly the first time. To reset Netflix to Factory Defaults, we always suggest a hard reboot of the Hopper first. Once the Hopper has been reset, press the Home button 3 times on your remote, then go to Tools> Reset to Factory Defaults> and select Netflix. 

The screen itself won't change, but you'll need to log back in to your Netflix account once it has been done.