Hopper 3 is it worth the upgrade

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper 3 is it worth the upgrade

Jackman2018
Character Actor
So we have had Hopper with sling for quite a while now. Thing is theres a channel that it usually goes to when I turn on the receiver. Its the Hopper 3 channel. I saw that it has more tuners than ours currently but will cost more, and we are trying to save money. Sometimes 5 aint enough, and we have had trouble with it. I am just wondering if Hopper 3 is worth it and if it has its own problems.
9 Replies

Re: Hopper 3 is it worth the upgrade

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Oh yes it is worth it. Also, the DVR service fee is the same for all Hopper receivers.

PCHearn
Camera Crew
I have had my "old" equipment many years, and it still works. Will Dish charge me to upgrade to the Hopper 3?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
PCHearn wrote:
I have had my "old" equipment many years, and it still works. Will Dish charge me to upgrade to the Hopper 3?

Depends, but there may/likely be an upgrade fee. And it is worth it.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer

Been enjoying my H3 for past few years. Working great. 3 Joeys all connected up too.

Jackman2018
Character Actor
Got a replay from Dish and they said only fee would be $100 but we are tight on cash right now which begs the question, will that 100 bucks be worth it?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Yes

jsdvis
Camera Crew
I have had it since March of 2016 and it is everything I thought it would be. As with any new product there is a learning curve but after using it for a while and not being afraid to play with it, it is now second nature to do anything I need to do with it. I just wish it wasn't so expensive but it is what it is and I do enjoy all the benefits of the Hopper 3.

malibu3105
Extra

Good question -- for me NO.

I currently have two Dish Hopper's with Sling.
I have content on both, one in my living room which has the Prime Time turned on, and one in the master bedroom with Prime Time turned off.

So I have a total of 6 tuners, and 4TB of drive space.

While I would enjoy 16 tuners, I would never use them. 4k will be nice someday when there is content.
But, I would also cut my space in half, going from 4TB to 2TB....
Plus why would I pay to upgrade when I already pay monthly for Silver support..???

I am amazed that the new Hopper is not a 4TB or bigger capacity... very strange...

Just my two cents. But for now I will stay with what I have. Will wait on a 4TB Hopper, and then maybe upgrade.

Tags (3)

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer

You might find it a better choice to use 1 Hopper and get a Joey for the bed room maybe. Then add your own external USB drive for additional space if you need.

I presume that DISH might not support 4Tb is the future. There's a lot that goes on when dealing with drive space then just putting recordings on a drive. Also when a drive fails, you would probably loose all the data on it as well.

malibu3105 wrote:
Good question -- for me NO.

I currently have two Dish Hopper's with Sling.
I have content on both, one in my living room which has the Prime Time turned on, and one in the master bedroom with Prime Time turned off.

So I have a total of 6 tuners, and 4TB of drive space.

While I would enjoy 16 tuners, I would never use them. 4k will be nice someday when there is content.
But, I would also cut my space in half, going from 4TB to 2TB....
Plus why would I pay to upgrade when I already pay monthly for Silver support..???

I am amazed that the new Hopper is not a 4TB or bigger capacity... very strange...

Just my two cents. But for now I will stay with what I have. Will wait on a 4TB Hopper, and then maybe upgrade.