Hopper 3 and Joey bugs

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper 3 and Joey bugs

Major Havoc
Audio Engineer
I have a hopper 3 and a recent non-wireless Joey, and recently, they are exhibiting a lot of bad behavior.

Most annoying is when I use Plex, which I view through the Home Media option. It has worked FARILY well (with problems) for some time. However, I am guessing since the last update a new problem has shown up. It seems that when I start a video through Home Media, it starts, but shows up as a small image in the upper right hand corner. I have seen this now at least a dozen times. It used to do that occasionally and switching to live video and then trying again would resolve it. But now, both hopper and Joey are doing this almost every time.

Also since the last release, the off air tuner is no longer working correctly. Tuning to an off air channel (which still show up in the guide with NO info) goes to a black screen and does nothing. Rebooting the box will bring the off air back for a short bit, but then it fails after a while. Funny that this started about the time you now charge for local channels.

I am also seeing more hangs, more video failures when changing channels, more times both set tops just hangs up and takes multiple seconds (5 to 20) to respond. Yesterday, the Joey told me I had no connection to the Hopper, yet the connection status in diagnostic on the units said the MoC signal was excellent and connected. Rebooting the Hopper solved the problem, but I am rebooting it several times a day it seems to keep it from screwing up on something.

I stay with Dish because you USED to have the best STB in the industry. But I can save A LOT of money by switching to Comcast and start using my TiVo again. Or maybe just cut the cord, go off air for broadcast (I get 79 channels off air) and Hulu and Sony for cable shows. Damn, half the shows I watch seem to end up on YouTube, or can be found on the net somewhere.

Sorry, but I'm getting more and more aggravated at the Dish STB problems. I would prefer to just continue with Dish, so please, get these bugs fixed.

Thank you.

Please, get it together
15 Replies

Re: Hopper 3 and Joey bugs

DISH Employee
With the many different things you have mentioned I will attempt to address them in the order you have provided them.

Home Media - With this there have been reports filed and they are trying to duplicate the issue(s) that have been sent to them.

Off Air Tuner - When you're on that screen, will it allow you to bringing up the Guide and if so, are you able to select a channel and the selection made will go to that channel?

Changing the Channels - With this issue, can you press the System Info button on the front of the Hopper 3, select Un-Link and then remove the batteries for 15-30 seconds and then once putting them back in press the SAT button to re-link the remote. Exit out of all screens and then try the different functions to make sure they are working better.

Major Havoc
Audio Engineer
Thanks Mike and sorry for my frustration. Just when trying to get it to work and it seems to get worse is frustrating. I will endeavour to hold it back.

Answers back

Thanks on home media. I love this feature and use it all the time, so if I can test things I'm willing. I run Plex, Windows Media, and a Network Drive all recognized by the STB as video sources. Happy to dig deeper if needed.

Off air: Yes, I can pull up the guide, but once I get an all black Ota signal, I get black on All channels. Usually requires me to launch a DVR show which "seems" to reset the decoders, and then satellite channels return. Almost like the OTA module is crashing the video decoders I still see in screen graphics if I call them up (channel banner. live, jump forward and back icons) But the video remains black.

On the changing channels, I have replaced batteries and relinked, and no difference. I have also tried several remotes. The older multicolor button remote seems to work best. I would describe the channel issue looking like a computer that is processor bound and simply cannot respond to input. Hope that helps some.

Thanks for passing on the issues. If it helps, these channel issues are all within the last week or two. As if something in an update caused a problem

Cheers,
-Owen Rubin-

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
How is your Hopper and Joey connected? RG6 cabling?
The hopper connected to a router by chance? If so, whats the Mfr and model# of the router.

You can inter connect the Joey and Hopper using CAT6 LAN cabling and a Gb external networks switch as an alternative connection. Also connect up your shared media storage devices here as well.
I use this configuration for my system. All 3 Joeys work well for me.

DISH Employee
Your very welcome Major Havoc and with the Home Media, anything you can provide me in more detail to provide them will be great!

With the Off-Air channels - will a re-scan help and what is the signal strength you're getting on the channels affected?

Changing the channels - What is the remote you're using (40.0, 52.0 or 50.0)?

mrbates1313
Extra
We are also having the same problem with the channels locking up the Hopper 3. If we scroll thru the channels too fast it seems to get confused bouncing between channels (the top display goes to the next channel and then backs up, this is confusing in itself) eventually it will just stop working. Have to wait 20 - 30 seconds before it recovers.

Also, would like the DVR display to not show "New" when we have viewed all the recorded shows of that show. I think that is how it worked on my old Hopper.

All this is frustrating especially since we paid money to get this new Hopper 3 and now I would pay to have my old one back.

Forgot to add that we are also having the same problem where the Joey locks up and displays "No Broadband Connection". The joey is directly connected to the Hopper3 thru coax. Ours seems to only do this once a week or so right after we power it on from Sleep. Rebooting the Joey clears the problem.

Major Havoc
Audio Engineer
e38BimmerFN wrote:
How is your Hopper and Joey connected? RG6 cabling?
The hopper connected to a router by chance? If so, whats the Mfr and model# of the router.

You can inter connect the Joey and Hopper using CAT6 LAN cabling and a Gb external networks switch as an alternative connection. Also connect up your shared media storage devices here as well.
I use this configuration for my system. All 3 Joeys work well for me.

The Hopper and Joey are connected directly with CAT6 cable. I also have a USB Wireless Wifi adapter as a backup. But as I said, the connection reports solid and strong even while the device thinks it's off line. And I also stated that the devices work fine much and worked fine until a rent update. Thinking that the connects is most likely not the issue. But, I could be wrong.

Thanks

Major Havoc
Audio Engineer
Mike H. wrote:
Your very welcome Major Havoc and with the Home Media, anything you can provide me in more detail to provide them will be great!

With the Off-Air channels - will a re-scan help and what is the signal strength you're getting on the channels affected?

Changing the channels - What is the remote you're using (40.0, 52.0 or 50.0)?

Hi Mike.

I tired a rescan a while ago, but am willing to do that again. We live on a hill pointed DIRECTLY at Sutro tower, the main distribution antenna for the Bay Area, and I have a rotor on my outside antenna to point right at the big tower. Three are almost 80 off air channels in the SF Bay Area (counting all the digital channels and sub channels) and I receive a full strong signal on most. When this issue happens, ALL video goes black, even satellite channels. DVR still works however. I will try a new scan, but not sure that will make a difference. As for remotes, I have both the one that came with the Hopper and Joey, as well as the previous remotes with the four color buttons (which I like MUCH better and usually use.)

FYI on HOME Media. Now when I start a video, it is stuck as a tiny picture in the upper right corner of the screen, the same size as the small image when viewing the guide. The rest of the screen is black. That is happening on both Hopper and Joey all the time now.

Major Havoc
Audio Engineer
Hey Mike, hope you see this. Just wondering if there is any movement on the Home Media bug where the image is stuck in the upper right hand corner. Still seeing that ALWAYS and can no longer really watch my other recordings on such a tiny image.

Thanks

Beastdrvr
Character Actor
I feel these and MANY other issues are the result of Dish's VERY BUGGY New User Interface. While I'm not having thall the same issues as you are, I'm having my share.
I would like to have all posts Dish customers are having with the New User Interface which, by the way, Dish calls "Carbon User Interface" All post should be listed under that title. I will start a new post using that title. Spread the word.