Hopper 3 & Joey going wireless?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper 3 & Joey going wireless?

RichF
Extra
Does anyone know about when the Hopper 3 and joey will be going wireless?
3 Replies

Re: Hopper 3 & Joey going wireless?

The Hopper 3 will likely never go wireless as it requires a cable to the dish. We already have a Wireless Joey and this is different than the regular Joey.
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
The Hopper needs a RG6 and CAT6 connection. CAT6 is for internet and app streaming. Joey 2.0 have LAN wired connections however I've found that you can use Joeys with a LAN cable connection, CAT6 with a Gb network switch to connect to the Hopper 3, or You can make a Joey wireless by connected it's LAN port to a Wireless Bridge device and then connecting the wireless bridge to your main host routers wifi where the Hopper would be LAN wired connected. This in effect makes the Joey wireless. I currently have one Joey set up in this configuration and works well. The Hopper could also be done in this manor for it's LAN port connection, however the RG6 cable is still needed for it's connection with the dish. And I would presume that if you used a wireless bridge, the device should support 5Ghz and at least AC wireless mode minimum. This could work for one Joey maybe however bandwidth would be come a concern if you had more than two or more Joeys. I recommend keeping the Hopper LAN/CAT6 connected to a Gb network switch thats connected to the main host router or directly to the main host router.

jmabro
Extra
The next generation hopper should have built in wireless access point. And can stream up to 4-6 wireless joeys or better 4-6 dishanywhere app locations. And more subscribers can use fire stick on other TVs to watch different channels at the same time.