Hopper 3 & 4k NetFlix Fixed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper 3 & 4k NetFlix Fixed

nunciate
Extra
After reading a ton of posts and talking to both Dish and Netflix support I can finally see 4k UHD content on my Netflix app in the Hopper 3.

Turns out that either the cable or my Pioneer Receiver are the culprit. I haven't tested that far yet but after unplugging the TV from the back of my Pioneer and directly in the Hopper I was able to see UHD content. So either the cable going from the hopper to the receiver is bad or the receiver itself does not process 4k content though it's HDMI switch. I will figure that out later but thought you all might want to know. I saw a lot of folks talking about how Netflix wasn't working in 4k on other sites and others saying it did but none had any fix.
5 Replies

Re: Hopper 3 & 4k NetFlix Fixed

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Good test. Always should test cabling and AVRs with the Hopper. Some cables and AVRs are not made well or maybe supporting of 4K content. Users are advised to check with Mfrs for 4K support and information. 4K is supported on the Hopper 3s. TVs, AVRs and cabling should be throughly checked.

Joey 2.0 are not 4K supporting.

nunciate
Extra
I was able to do a bit more testing. I have a newer Yamaha receiver in my bedroom I bought about a month ago. It supports 3D & 4k pass-through with the HDMI switch it has embedded. I hooked that up in place of my Pioneer which is older and probably doesn't support that.

Problem is even with everything setup correctly Netflix will not display 4k content when connected through the Yamaha either. Something about the dish receiver is not picking up the connection properly.

It is quite frustrating. I am using the same cables that work when directly connected to the TV so I know it isn't the cables.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Maybe a compatibility issue between the Hopper and the AVRs.
You might contact Yamaha and or Pioneer and ask them about HDMI, and 4K support and if they've done any testing with DISH Hoppers and let them know that it works with out the AVRs in the mix and direct to the TV, when the AVRs are in the mix, doesn't work. Kind of points to the AVRs since cables work and directly with the TV with the Hopper.

olds4422
Audio Engineer
I know H3 works with nextflix but the 4k joeys do not work with netflix still, 4k joey will probably never work with netflix cause dish blames netflix and netflix blame dish for the issue, ( it been coming soon) for 2 years now.

I hope never is fixed though, ( personal reasons)

nunciate wrote:
I was able to do a bit more testing. I have a newer Yamaha receiver in my bedroom I bought about a month ago. It supports 3D & 4k pass-through with the HDMI switch it has embedded. I hooked that up in place of my Pioneer which is older and probably doesn't support that.

Problem is even with everything setup correctly Netflix will not display 4k content when connected through the Yamaha either. Something about the dish receiver is not picking up the connection properly.

It is quite frustrating. I am using the same cables that work when directly connected to the TV so I know it isn't the cables.

I have the same issue... It seems to be isolated to Netflix app though.. Cuz the youtube app plays 4k UHD no problem and you can play Video on Demand 4k without a problem... It all goes back to Dish Network's Netflix app recognizing the 4k set up.. I was on chat with Dish today discussing 2 problems that I've been having.. 1 - Media Player not playing videos properly and 2 4k through Netflix.. They have no solutions at this time but acknowledged that it will have to be resolved via Software update at some point.. Hopefully the information was referred to their Engineering division as they stated and the matter does get resolved sometime soon.