Hopper 3 Timer Not Working - Premier League Soccer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper 3 Timer Not Working - Premier League Soccer

CantonJason
Character Actor
Is anyone else having problems with a timer for [i:gthtw6mj]Premier League Soccer[/i:gthtw6mj]?

About a month ago, my timer for [i:gthtw6mj]Premier League Soccer[/i:gthtw6mj] seemed to "replicate" itself and instead of one timer for channel 159, I had about 4 timers but no new programs were being recorded. Previously, before all of the new timers appeared, it had worked for well over a year.

I've talked with customer support two times (well over an hour invested) and they just don't seem to get it.

On the calls, after they repeatedly walk me through the process of creating a timer (I'm well versed in this process but I guess they have their script they have to use), I've suggested that they try to replicate the problem. On my latest call, one of the people said they do have a Hopper 3 they can use and his manager said they don't (obviously one of them was lying).

At the end of the first call the customer service person said she would "Plus 1" me (might have made her feel good, but nothing to satisfy me) and refer the issue to their engineering department. On the second call, I spoke with three different individuals (CS person and apparently his supervisor and the supervisor's manager) and the result was they would contact their engineering department.

I asked to be contacted with the results of their inquiry and they said they couldn't do that.

I've been in a customer facing technical role supporting highly complex products my entire career and I cannot fathom the idea of not following up with a customer who was having an issue!

If someone out there has a Hopper 3 (my friends can't afford Dish) and could do a test for me, I'd appreciate it.

Please try to create a timer for [i:gthtw6mj]Premier League Soccer[/i:gthtw6mj] and see if subsequent broadcasts are scheduled to record. There's a broadcast on Saturday April 8th at 7:25am EDT on channel 159 and another at 9:55am EDT on the same channel. Setting a timer ("Only New" or "New and Reruns") for the first airing should cause the second airing to be recorded. [b:gthtw6mj][u:gthtw6mj]MINE DOESN'T![/u:gthtw6mj][/b:gthtw6mj]

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
CantonJason.
7 Replies

Re: Hopper 3 Timer Not Working - Premier League Soccer

CantonJason
Character Actor
I should have added that all of my other timers (I have a lot!) seem to function just fine.

Thanks again,
CantonJason

1886gooner
Extra
I have the same problem and noticed it on some other sporting events (NHL Hockey play-offs) the timer only gives you the option to record one game at a time.
I'd had it set up to record NBC Sports, NBC, CNBC etc basically all channels that show EPL games for years with never an issue, so i wouldn't mis any of them. Worked perfectly until a few weeks ago... I will switch shortly to another carrier as Im not setting a program each time I want to record a game... pain in the arse!

Terrible that Dish doesn't even reach out to notify customers of the issue, then when you call it's like you must be the only one on the planet with the issue and they know darn well thousands of customers have the issue! Complete BS!!!

CantonJason
Character Actor
Hey Gooner,thanks for the note.

Did your timers seem to "replicate" when the problem started? I keep my timers very organized (sorted by category and name) so I know I didn't have multiple timers scheduled for Premier League Soccer on CNBC but when I noticed matches weren't being recorded I reviewed my timers and had 3 or more new ones for CNBC.

I am allowed to create an "Only New" or "New and Reruns" timers for Premier League Soccer but they just don't work!!!

I too am now looking at other programming issues - my Dish bill is almost $185 and they don't seem to give a crap about me or customer service! Glad I don't use one of their partners for my internet access.

Go United (Atlanta + Manchester + Sheffield)!

Thanks,
CantonJason

Maytag3402
Character Actor
Let me make sure I understand the problem completely. I get that the H3 does not record subsequent sports programs that would generally be considered part of a series. Are you saying that it does not even flag the next event with the "stacked clocks" icon in the guide? Have you checked to see if there is even the slightest change in the title of the programs as the series progresses? I have found that [u:25wlf1yw]that[/u:25wlf1yw] will definitely cause a subsequent program to be skipped. That is a limitation of the very literal search function used by the software to find future programming. I ran into it on the series "Gold Rush" when they added "Gold Rush - the Dirt", I figured it out when I saw both listings side by side in the Guide.

I can't help you right this minute, because my H3 has been totally inop now into its 5th day. (See: "Hopper3 Starting up Code 9999 window") After much cajoling, I have succeeded in getting a supervisor to send me a tech and a new H3 tomorrow morning. When my new H3 is installed, I'll give it a try to see how the Guide works with sports (I don't watch much in sports.) BTW, my Dish bill is over $190.

CantonJason
Character Actor
Maytag, thanks for the reply and suggestions.

To me, it looks like the programs are identical.

When you get up and running again, maybe you could take a look and see what you think. Incidentally, the timers worked for more than a year before failing.

Next Saturday (15 Apr) there is a [i:35jc59xq]Premier League Soccer[/i:35jc59xq] event starting at 7:25am EDT on channel 159. Creating a timer ([i:35jc59xq]Only New[/i:35jc59xq] or [i:35jc59xq]New and Reruns[/i:35jc59xq]) for the 7:25am event would previously have also scheduled the [i:35jc59xq]Premier League Soccer[/i:35jc59xq] event beginning 2 1/2 hours later on the same channel to be recorded.

If you don't mind checking whether creating a timer for the 7:25am event on your H3 also schedules the 9:55am event, I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to get as info as possible for my next call to Customer NoService.

There's typically 10 of these events each week and creating individual timers for each of the events is ridiculous!

Maybe I should convince them to replace the box (yeah, I pay for the "protection") and waste an afternoon of their technician's time (or the fee they have to pay the 3rd party).

Or maybe even better, someone smart and technical at Dish monitors this forum and provides a solution. I think they upgraded the software on the head end and broke something.

Thanks,
CantonJason.

Occheermommy
Camera Crew
I do not have the hopper3 but have a similar issue. It seems to be on recordings I have had timers for for a while. It started with impractical jokers and I thought maybe they added a space in the title or something so I created a new timer and that seemed to work for a week or so. Then it stopped working again, nothing recording. So we created another timer and it worked again. Then today I checked that doctor who would record on Saturday and it isn't showing a mark like it will record for any episodes past Thursday. I tried creating a new timer and it said it created but again no symbol on the guide. I tried again and now I can't even create a timer for it. It just freezes and never creates. It will let me do a one timer but not a series. I contacted tech through the live chat. They said it is a known issue and they are working on it asap.
I was hoping ordering my new hopper 3 finally would fix it but it doesn't sound like it from you guys. I have the hopper with sling now but run out of tuners frequently. So I have been waiting u til I can afford the hopper 3. Anyway they did tell me it is a known issue and they are working on it. I hope they will upgrade software and it will fix this soon. Has been happening for about 3 weeks. They said the work around is create a new timer and delete the old. If that helps anyone. For me it is temporary at best, as it doesn't work consistently.

Maytag3402
Character Actor
CantonJason -- Sorry, but I just tried the series record as you suggested, and the system did NOT pick up the next airing of Premier League Soccer. Now I had a couple of additional thoughts: this test was directly through the Guide, so I tried to do it through the sports app. That did not work because the app only went out 4 days, so it didn't get to Sat. Not any help.

Next, I tried a direct search using the search button. I suggest just invoking the search from anywhere in the Guide, because I found that trying to search from the first airing entry didn't work well at all. When I invoked the search, I began typing in the League Name, i.e., "Premier League." Before you even got "Premier" typed in the list showed "Premier League" under the "sports" category on the right side of the page. Pick [u:2ph05dig]that[/u:2ph05dig] number and it will show all of the associated listings. When I did it, there were a total of 15 icons, of which only 5 proved to be the airings that I think you are looking for. Anyway, you can then go through these icons one by one and chose to record the ones you want from that one screen. Trying to invoke a series record does not work there either.

I know it isn't what you wanted, but I think it is a reasonable work-around.

Good Luck.