Hopper 3 - Recording very confused

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper 3 - Recording very confused

windyweather
Character Actor
I have had long running timers for for chn 209 Rachel Maddow and Last word with Lawrence...

But I have to keep checking them to see if they are working. I've seen and complained about this before in other notes here. But tonight it was particularly confused. Rachel 6pm PDT was playing and recording and had been paused a while, but was not over. So I checked the guide and sure enough there was no RED CIRCLE on Last Word following at 7pm. So I tried to make a timer for that. It looked like it worked, but there was no mark. And when the advanced so that it should be recording, it was not. I edited the timer several times by clicking on the Guide and it would edit the timer, but would not show that it was recording. It refused to record. NOTHING ELSE IS RECORDING except the tail end of Rachel. So I'm not exceeding any limits. My DVR is only 42% full.

This latest hopper is terribly buggy. Please do some thorough testing of the Guide / Recording events and please clean up the guide so that the names don't keep changing or whatever causes timers to be invalidated. I have had hoppers for many years - since the first one - and only this last HOPPER 3 is failing this way for recording. My previous hopper 1 always worked well.

Please hire some folks to test this thing and make it work!!!
7 Replies

Re: Hopper 3 - Recording very confused

peggyrh
Associate Producer
My H3 works fine, but since the guide info is frequently incorrect some recordings are not recording - not the fault of H3, it's the fault if the new guide provider & many customers are complaining about it.

Slave2Computers
Camera Crew
peggyrh wrote:
My H3 works fine, but since the guide info is frequently incorrect some recordings are not recording - not the fault of H3, it's the fault if the new guide provider & many customers are complaining about it.

:?: Thanks for the info Peggy, but what do you mean by "incorrect"?
The show name and time slot appear to be correct when viewed in the guide. Sometimes the network does fiddle with the name and/or timeslot so I understand why those are skipped.

Is there unseen metadata that is incorrect?

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Dish switched guide providers a few weeks ago & many customers are having timers not record, I had to delete & reset new timers for several programs.

tommyy2
Visual Engineer
peggyrh wrote:
Dish switched guide providers a few weeks ago & many customers are having timers not record, I had to delete & reset new timers for several programs.

How much do you think they saved by switching?

scotar
Audio Engineer
Mine has been working pretty good since the change. I don't like the hokey descriptions that are on some of the shows.

As for the OP, it may be divine intervention that is keeping you from recording Rachael Madcow. Look upon it as one of those little blessings in life!! :lol:

Slave2Computers
Camera Crew
peggyrh wrote:

That would explain the timer issues we have been experiencing.
I do hope Dish & vendor get it sorted out soon. Like really soon.
Not real happy with the guide information as well. A lot of it is totally generic, i.e. not episode specific, and often cut off, like they got it from a Twitter feed.

Yo Dish folks. I got back on this forum because my wife was threatening to shove the hopper down my throat. We just got a 1GB fiber connection for internet and now she is researching internet alternatives. Just saying...might be wise to sort this stuff out...soon...please?

stile99
Cinematographer
tommyy2 wrote:
peggyrh wrote:

How much do you think they saved by switching?

I know they THINK they saved enough to cover the loss of subscribers over this, but thanks to contracts it may take up to two years for the chickens to come home to roost.

Time will tell, but I can tell you personally that at the end of my contract one of two things will be true. Dish will have fired Rovi or I will have fired Dish.