Mkerdman wrote:
With a Hopper 3, how can I:

1. Schedule a REC and begin watching it
2. PAUSE the REC
3. TUNE to another CHANNEL by Selecting it from the GUIDE
4. Return to the First REC and PLAY it from the point of the original PAUSE

Thanks in advance.

Murray

While there is no resume option while a program is still recording pressing the play button on the remote control works as a defacto resume button. I only discovered this recently when it was posted in another thread a while ago. And I used this often and successfully during the recent March Madness basketball tournament.

Re: Hopper 3: How do I PAUSE a REC, Tune another Channel, RE

Mkerdman
Extra
vlogical1 wrote:
Mkerdman wrote:

2. PAUSE the REC

Thanks in advance.

Murray

While there is no resume option while a program is still recording pressing the play button on the remote control works as a defacto resume button. I only discovered this recently when it was posted in another thread a while ago. And I used this often and successfully during the recent March Madness basketball tournament.

ON which screen while still RECORDING do you Press PLAY to get a de facto RESUME behavior?

vlogical1
Character Actor
Mkerdman wrote:
vlogical1 wrote:
Mkerdman wrote:

2. PAUSE the REC

Thanks in advance.

Murray

ON which screen while still RECORDING do you Press PLAY to get a de facto RESUME behavior?

On the DVR recordings screen select the program that is still recording and press play on your remote control. You can do this after exiting to live TV or viewing another recorded/recording program. You can press pause before exiting watching the program that is still recording but you do not have to for it to resume at the same place when you come back to the recording program and using the play button. During March Madness I switched back and forth between four different games that were still recording and was able to resume my place every time in all the games using this method.

scotar
Audio Engineer
Hit the swap button on the old 40.0 remote (Or Input on side of the new 52.0 remote). That will swap you back and forth between two tuners. You can record on one then swap to the other and watch something else. Hit it again and it swaps back.

You can pause the recording on one tuner and swap to the other tuner and watch something else. When you swap back to the channel that is recording, it will resume playing where you paused it.

Works the same for Live TV. Pause one and swap to the other and watch for a while. Swap back and the other tuner starts the playback where I paused it. But it is limited, of course, to the buffer limit of one hour.

This is how I have always watched TV on my dish DVR's. Even on my old 921 DVR.

ck42blah
Extra
Being a new (again) DISH customer, I was going to inquire about this same capability. Did this *ALL.THE.TIME* when with DTV. Was my way of watching 2 live shows at once, so I didn't have to watch commercials.
Commercial starts on one tuner, hit PAUSE, hit the down arrow to flip to other tuner, watch that show until commercial time, hit PAUSE, hit down arrow, have enough buffer built up so I could fast-forward through the commercials and continue watching other show.

Immediately started looking for a way to do this with my shiny new H3. Couldn't find any equivalent. :evil:

I haven't been able to try your suggestion about the INPUT button on the 52.0 remote, but looking forward to it. Sounds like it gives me back my favorite way to watch live shows! :mrgreen:

I just got the hopper 3 and cannot do what you are saying. I use the side input button but it takes me back to live TV even though I had that tuner paused.

scotar
Audio Engineer
allseasonsfan2 wrote:
I just got the hopper 3 and cannot do what you are saying. I use the side input button but it takes me back to live TV even though I had that tuner paused.

That is because the two tuners are on the same station.

Tune to whatever channel. Hit Input. Tune to another station. Then hit Input to swap back and forth between the two channels. Then you can pause one and swap to the other tuner and watch TV. Swap back and it will start where you paused it.

On the 40.0 remote you can use the Input button or the PIP Swap button to accomplish the same thing.

emprbasist
Extra
Hi I'm just stumbling across this while searching for a similar issue. I have the hopper 3 and two Joey 2.0's with all 52.0 remotes. When I am in SAT mode, if I press the input button on the side, it just tells me "This is not an active feature." Does anyone know how I can activate it? I really miss the ability to switch between two tuners that I did often with DTV!

DISH Employee
You can set the Recall button to "Tunes to Last Channel", "Show Last 6 Channels", or "Tune and Show Last 6 Channels". While you're viewing live if you press Recall you'll be able to visit one of those channels, or automatically tune to the other channel while showing the last six.

I haven't heard of using the Input button for this, as it's usually for changing the inputs on the TV itself, but it would be an interesting feature. You an always leave this idea with our Spokeslistener here: https://www.mydish.com/spokeslistener