Hopper 3 Constantly Rebooting

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper 3 Constantly Rebooting

wvricky2
Costume Designer
The Hopper 3 supplied to me just a little more than three months ago is constantly rebooting. It will reboot very slowly, play about 50 seconds, then repeat the reboot process. It just started this evening. There goes the NFL playoff games this evening and tomorrow. I suspect it will have to be replaced. It will not stay on long enough to do any tests in the menus. I have pushed reset button and unplugged it for the recommended 10 seconds. It does not help. I do not feel there should be any charge to send me a replacement. It has been in use for about two and a half months. I will send a PM to EricaP, who may still be working.
Tags (3)
13 Replies

Re: Hopper 3 Constantly Rebooting

wvricky2
Costume Designer
I may just call Customer Support. As bad as I detest talking to a DISH CSR, it may be faster. But, will it be more aggravating? Probably. But, maybe not.

DISH Employee
Were you able to get assistance regarding the Hopper rebooting?

If not, I'd be happy to assist you. When the receiver reboots, are you getting any error message on the screen? Does it go straight to Acquiring Signal, or does it show Hopper starting up first?

Spart
Character Actor

I too have had this issue for quite a long time now, and when I call customer support, and go through the diagnostic steps each time, getting different replies from each one, nothing has worked. Looking through the internet it's a very common issue that many people are experiencing, and it is very frustrating, and mine does it at least 5 times each day, all at random times. There is no error code, just goes black then starts back up, going to the Hopper starting up screenm, then acquiring siginal screen, and eventually back to regular programing. I've had this issue so long now, and haven't read of one solved instyance of it, and as much as I love Dish, I'm almost to the point of switching providers. Is this not an important issue to customer service, or tech support, because trust me there are tons of people experiencing this, and having zero luch with customer service. 

DISH Employee

Spart, we definitely want to look into this issue further. To verify, is the receiver in an enclosed area such as a cabinet or closet? It must within at least 4 inches of other electronic devices to give the receiver enough air flow. Additionally, is the receiver connected into a surge protector? If so, have you tried to bypass the surge protector and connect it to the wall outlet directly?

Spart
Character Actor

Yes those things were already checked in each call. It initially was plugged into a surge protector but after the first call it's been plugged directly into the wall. The receiver is on top of a three shelved entertainment stand, on the top shelf not inside a cabinet or near any other electronic equipment. During the last call to tech support, the girl I was talking to connected to my receiver remotely and looked around. I mentioned that it acts like it's getting hot and rebooting, and she said she can see the temperature and that it doesn't appear to be a heating issue, and didn't see any issues. Personally I'm thinking the3se problems are a virus of some sort, but I'm just guessing. Not sure how one would be transmitted, it just seems very odd. Thanks for your reply!

DISH Employee

Spart, it's my pleasure! Thank you for the information. Lets make sure the receiver power button on the front of the receiver is not pushed in or stuck. We will try a Partial Reset. By doing this, it can reduce the need of a replacement by clearing any temporary files and re-downloading new ones. Most timers and recordings are not impacted by a Partial Reset; however, PrimeTime Anytime will be disabled after the process completes. This process typically takes about 20 minutes, but can take up to an hour. 

To enable PrimeTime Anytime after the Partial Reset, you may press the Home/Menu button two times, select "Settings", select "PrimeTime Anytime", then switch to "On". Let me know if you are still see the receiver rebooting after the Partial Reset. 

Spart
Character Actor

How do I perform the partial reset, by holding in the power, or reset button until it reboots?

DISH Employee

To preform a Partial Reset, press the Home/Menu button three times, scroll to and select "Tools", select "Reset to Factory Defaults", then select "Partial Reset". Do not select "Master Reset". On the pop-up warning, select "Reset". 

Spart
Character Actor

OK got that all done. It happens at random times, sometimes longer in between so I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. Thanks so much for the help!