Hopper 3 Buy or Lease?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper 3 Buy or Lease?

Roadijeff
Audio Engineer
I've been a Dish customer for many, many years. We currently have a VIP722 and VIP211K with two TVs. Here's what I am paying for the equipment each month.

HD Receiver 7.00
DVR Service 7.00

Will switching to a Hopper 3 and a Joey increase these monthly fees very much? Also, with me being a long-time customer of 25+ years, would the upgrade fees be waived? I know I also have to install a Dish 1000.2 DISHPRO Hybrid (DPH) Triple LNBF and maybe one or two other things but I think this is something I can do myself.

Also, I was looking at purchasing the equipment off someplace such as Amazon, instead of leasing. One Amazon reviewer said that Dish would not activate their Hopper because it was not purchased directly from Dish. Anyone know if this is true?
5 Replies

Re: Hopper 3 Buy or Lease?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Your DVR fee would go up $8. There is no cost difference between leased and purchased. It doesn’t matter where it was bought, it just has to be cleared. That means it has to be previously owned by the party, and does not have money owed on the account. May also need to send a call out so any stored PPVs can be appropriately charged. If you get the receiver number, and message the DIRT members here, they will be able to tell you if it is cleared or not.

zhway
Extra
Direct tv allows users to record several programs without issues. I you don't pay Dish big bucks for their Hopper3 you can only watch and record three programs at a time. I requested a free Hopper3 at no additional cost to avoid returning to DTV but they would rather lose me than sacrifice a few $$ each month. They are driven by a small profit over good customer care.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
That small profit is approx $11 per month per subscriber. It’s also their flagship receiver, and can do so much more than the Genie. Also, you can get 5 tuners and record 9 things with the HWS and a Super Joey, and still have more features than DTV, for less than wat DTV charges.

stile99
Cinematographer
As I understand it (this may not be correct), there is currently a shortage on the Hopper 3. So people calling trying to demand a free one or they're walking may very well have their bluff called.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
That is another aspect of it. Those are two of the biggest reasons.