cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper 3 4k issues

joyjit
Extra

Hi All,

I have a Hopper 3 and I am having issues getting channel 540-02 (World Cup Soccer 4k channel).

Whenever I try to tune to this channel, the audio plays out, but the TV screen shows nothing and the Hopper becomes unresponsive. The Hopper remote is unable to control the Hopper. At this point the only recourse is to ppwer cycle the Hopper.

I have the new Sony XBR-55A8F which has 4k with HDR10 support (details: https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/a8f-series/specifications )

To rule out AVR issues, I *directly* connected the Hopper to the Sony TV using a HDMI cable (which is capable of 4K HDR10 -- I have verified this by viewing 4K HDR content from a Roku).

I did manage to get this to work a couple of times, by doing the following:

1. I tuned the Hopper to channel 540-02. Then restarted it. When it came back up I could see the video on the TV.

2. At this point, the Video appeared washed out (the colors were off). I had to go to the TV settings and then go into Advanced Settings for Video Options and change the "HDR Mode" from "Auto" to "Full" and change "HDMI Video Range" from "Auto" to "Full"

Then the colors became alright (But I had to change the settings back when watching non-4k content).

Anybody else having similar issues?

Do I have a defective Hopper?

13 Replies

Re: Hopper 3 4k issues

Adriano212
Extra
I tried to watch one game today in 4K I didn’t get image or sound I got a message saying content was not available
I have the the hdmi cable connected through my AV receiver that is not 4K would that be an issue?

DISH Employee

Hello, joyjit! This definitely sounds strange and I would be happy to forward this to our Engineer Team. In the meantime, are you using a regular HDMI cable or a 4K HDMI cable?

DISH Employee

Hello, Adriano212! The only way to view 4K HDR content is with a Hopper 3 receiver and a 4K HDR compatible TV. 

joyjit
Extra
SamF wrote:

Hello, joyjit! This definitely sounds strange and I would be happy to forward this to our Engineer Team. In the meantime, are you using a regular HDMI cable or a 4K HDMI cable?

I am using a 4K HDMI Cable. This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076VSJWDZ/

I have tried the Roku Ultra with no problem.

Even with the Hopper, I got it to work a couple of times (by power cycling after tuning to channel #540-02)

Thanks

srodar
Character Actor

Similar problems with poor picture quality using Hopper with Sling. Great picture when streaming but terrible HD picture quality watching TV. Very clear picture on older Samsung HD TV but poor quality on new 4k UHD Samsung QLED 65". Have been unable to find any solutions and am frustrated with Dish right now.

joyjit
Extra

SamF,

Any update on this?

Thanks!

DISH Employee

We have not received any updates on this issue yet. As most of the channels broadcast in 1080, a 4K TV set may make it possible to see the difference in the picture between 1080 and 4K. To help the picture, you do want to make sure that the receiver is set up with the "4K, 1080p, or 1080i" video resolution and "16:9" aspect ratio by going to the Menu > Settings > TV.

Some of our other DISH members have encountered this issue before and there is more information about it here: https://communities.dish.com/t5/At-Home/Hopper-with-Sling-Picture-Quality-on-4k-Television/m-p/9708

Adriano212
Extra
I was able to solve it
I connected the HDMI directly from hopper to tv and hdmi out from AV receiver to tv for sound return to my sorround sound
I can watch the games in 4K HDR but sound is no being outputted in Dolby 5.1

DISH Employee

On your main Hopper box if you go to Settings > Audio Output, is Dolby Digital Pass-through set to On or Off?