Hopper 2 w/Sling Joey direct ethernet fail?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper 2 w/Sling Joey direct ethernet fail?

pjw1967
Camera Crew
I disconnected the Joey transmitter to move some wire around. Now I can't get it to link. System doesn't see it. It is a wireless Joey but I connected it to back of the Hopper with an Ethernet cable. It powers on, with a lower blue light and an upper green light. The middle orange light used to be on all the time. Now it is dark. What I have done wrong? Hopper is connected to system via Ethernet cable and Hopper says my broadband connection is ok. Thanks as always.
7 Replies

Re: Hopper 2 w/Sling Joey direct ethernet fail?

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
check cabling between Joey and Hopper. Only one Joey? Try factory reset on the Joey and connect via LAN cable.
Check cableing between Hopper and Joey with connecting this new cabling connected to a host router and a laptop to make sure the new cable run is working well.
Is the Hopper and Joey connected to a main host router? What Mfr and model is the main host router?

I was able to set up my 3rd Joey via LAN cable. CAT6 LAN cabling recommended.

pjw1967
Camera Crew
e38BimmerFN wrote:
check cabling between Joey and Hopper. Only one Joey? Try factory reset on the Joey and connect via LAN cable.
Check cableing between Hopper and Joey with connecting this new cabling connected to a host router and a laptop to make sure the new cable run is working well.
Is the Hopper and Joey connected to a main host router? What Mfr and model is the main host router?

I was able to set up my 3rd Joey via LAN cable. CAT6 LAN cabling recommended.

Thanks. I ran a brand new CAT5e cable from the Hopper to the Joey. At first no orange light. The it came on and started working. BTW the house was built in 1996. When we bought it 10/2014 there was no LAN wiring. We needed some electrical work, so I had the electrician run CAT6 to a number of rooms. So the Hopper and BluRay player are hardwired. The desktop in the man cave upstairs is also hardwired. That allows me to use Playon to access the hard drive which has all the HD video I've been shooting since 2009. Wireless has its benefits, but hardwire can't be beat. Router is Comcast Arris. Service is 25 to 30 mbps.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Ya my house is part 1970s and new addition is 2015. Put in CAT6a in new addition.

Sounds like a cabling issue with original cabling. Your Joey is working with new temp cable you tested.

What is the Model of the arris modem/router?

Ya LAN wire is best. Wireless isn't great for streaming unless you are using 5Ghz and N/AC modes on wireless. I have one Joey LAN connected to a 5ghz N mode wireless bridge thats connected to a 5Ghz AP in the next room thats LAN wired to the main network and Hopper.

pjw1967
Camera Crew
e38BimmerFN wrote:
Ya my house is part 1970s and new addition is 2015. Put in CAT6a in new addition.

Sounds like a cabling issue with original cabling. Your Joey is working with new temp cable you tested.

What is the Model of the arris modem/router?

Ya LAN wire is best. Wireless isn't great for streaming unless you are using 5Ghz and N/AC modes on wireless. I have one Joey LAN connected to a 5ghz N mode wireless bridge thats connected to a 5Ghz AP in the next room thats LAN wired to the main network and Hopper.

It's an Arris TG862G/GT. The wife got tired of all the wires and appliances piled up behind and around the tv. So I got my marching orders. Been at it for over a week. It's like shutting down a highway to repave it. Every night I had to be sure we had tv. There were 5 single gang feeds on the wall behind the tv. I had to open up the garage wall behind the tv, move all the feeds incl the electric down so I could reinstall them on the back of the cabinet. Labor intensive as there are 10 appliances plugged into the electric, and 2 running off USB power. The key to the whole shootin' match is the USD powered laptop fan sitting under the Hopper. Heat is your enemy.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Ok, as long as you done have any other router connected to the Arris modem/router, you'll be fine.

Ya, its a pain getting wired installed in a pre-existing house. I had to craw up in to the attic of the old house to get wired ran to that end of the house. Was fairly easy when we did the new addition. So glad we got CAT6a in though.

You should be good now. Just be sure that when installing CAT cable that the plug ends are tested well before closing everything up. Thats the one pain having to test the plug ends.

Ya I keep a laptop cooler under my main host router all the time. I know there is fans in the Hopper on the sides I believe. No vents under mine. I need to look into maybe some side fans for additional cooling. Mine sits on a well ventilated equipment rack. ;)

tdiguy
Costume Designer
Next time you have to run cat 5 or 6 wires you might consider a wall outlet or a surface mount jack also. I myself can make the cable ends for cat5 / 6 cables but i hate doing it. Wall sockets are a little more time consuming but easier to nail and somewhat forgiving if you get the wiring wrong. Then buy short runs of pre-made cable to go from the wall to the device.
One of my favorite sites to find deals on cables and such is monoprice.com

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
LOL, all was completely done when we started the new addition. All cables were ran before sheet rock went up then all wall out lets were set up and configured after paint. We did a great job and saved tons of money DIY. :D Installed home room theater and system and were ready for 10Gb network speeds when that day comes. :D