Hopper 2 External Hard Drive no longer works

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper 2 External Hard Drive no longer works

dean45150
Extra
I have been dealing with Dish concerning this issue for over three :oops: months. I feel that Dish really don't care to resolve this issue since not that many subscribers use this function. I know it is a software issue because it started the end of May 2017 after a software update.

I first brought this to the Technical support back on June 4, 2017. They told me that they are aware of the issue but have no time frame as to when it maybe resolved. Which tells me they really don't care about this issue and have no intensions of resolving it. Since that time they have done at least two more software updates dated July 29, 2017 & August 30, 2017. But after three months this issue remains unresolved.
10 Replies

Re: Hopper 2 External Hard Drive no longer works

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Need more details. What kind of EHD. How is it powered? What size?

dean45150
Extra
I have 4 external hard drives, they are all Seagate, two of them are 330Gb and two of them are 2Tb, and they all have their own external power supplies, all four of these drives meet the Hopper 2 specifications. Even though I only have one of them connected to my Hopper 2 w/Sling at any given time. The Hopper does recognize them when powered on, but the current version of software does not allow me to access them either to copy programs to or retrieve programs from them.

All four of these drives worked fine prior to the May 2017 software upgrade. Besides there is no way all of these drives would fail at the same time.

Thanks

dflem29
Costume Designer
I am having the same the same problems... all started after the forced user interface "upgrade"! I started having inconsistent issues with watching program directly from external HD. I had other problems with the previous Hopper programs freezing when watching delayed program, so they sent me a replacement Hopper.

The replacement Hopper will access the 2 TB WD MyBook (with external power supply) sometimes. When unplugged external & tried another, it would not be recognized... system froze up & had to reset that required reformat, gave error 760. Cannot play anything directly from the external... have to transfer to Hopper in order to watch the saved program.

The replacement doesn't have the same delayed program freezing issues as the old one but still have external HD problems!

The WD external worked yesterday but this morning the system was frozen & had to go through Hopper reformat, losing everything just saved on Hopper HD. Today after reset, reformat, can access the WD external HD & transfer back & forth. Have not yet tested other externals.

dflem29
Costume Designer
Update... I was able to access the Fantom external 2 TB HD (also with external power supply)... but inconsistent functionality not explainable! Successfully transferred to Hopper w/ sling HDD with one program but not a different different, yet, the program that did not transfer, I was able to watch directly from the external HD! I cannot do that with the WD external 2 TB HD... it does nothing & have to channel to watch Live TV.

So, WHY this inconsistency? I do not have the same issue with the 2 external hard drives.
This is happening when I am only watching live TV, not doing any recording to Hopper HDD.

From what I have seen, the 'upgrade' has caused so many problems with existing Hoppers as well as the Hopper3. I have been told that the ability to use an external HD is not their service I am paying for, but an option that is NOT guaranteed!!!

EHD not working after going from Hopper 1 to Hopper 2

dawgfan1606
Extra
Two weeks ago I bought an External HD to transfer recordings from my Hopper 1 to the new Hopper w/Sling. I transferred all of my recordings so the "upgrade" installation would go a lot quicker. However, after the technician left, I connected my external HD to the Hopper w/Sling and immediately got the Error 865 screen telling me my drive needed to be formatted....Um, say what?! Tech support states my drive is not compatible with the new hopper because the file system must not be EXT3. Um, why wouldn't the old Hopper with the latest UI be using a different file system?! So, does anyone know if the Hopper w/Sling doesn't use the same file system as the Hopper 1? I really would like to find out if I have any chance to recover my recordings...which include recordings I will never be able to get back?

peggyrh
Associate Producer
I'm still able to watch recordings originally made on 722 & Hopper 1 receivers from over 5 yrs ago. Is your EHD powered by a wall plug or USB?

dawgfan1606
Extra
Unfortunately, it's USB powered. :(

Chadt41411
Casting Director
If you get a powered hub, you might be able to.

ybstudios
Extra
I have Hopper w/Sling and have the same problems with external HDD not playing recordings. Using Remote 40 and both Seagate and WD HDD. Worked great until the software upgrade. Add slower to everything.

If I only go thru one time, Hopper program freezes and screen goes dark. After getting back to "live mode", when I enter the procedure the second time everything works.
If I go thru the procedure to play recordings twice, it will work.

Again, it has to be a software clitch.

-thanks
-wayne