Hopper 1 Signal Levels on Different Tuners

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper 1 Signal Levels on Different Tuners

BarryInDalS
Extra
I have the original Hopper with Sling and two Joeys. I have had to move the dish and so I am re-aiming the system for best signal levels. However, there seems to be a significant difference in level between the three tuners. 1 is higher than 2, and both are quite a bit higher than 3. In fact, right now, the signal on 3 is very marginal, while 1 and 2 are good. Is this a common problem? Should I optimize for tuner 3 since it has the lowest signal levels?

(I don't think this is related to moving the dish; I believe I saw this before, but just now trying to see if this can be fixed.)

Other info: Eastern Arc 1000.4 (61,72, 77 satellites).

Only other issue I have right now is viewing local OTA stations via original single USB tuner over the Joeys (bad pixelization), but this seems to be a commonly reported problem, possibly induced by software changes, so I think this is unrelated.
2 Replies

Re: Hopper 1 Signal Levels on Different Tuners

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Ignore the tuners. Look at the satellites. What is the signal strength on each satellite? You should aim it based on the 61.5 satellite signal, then the others until maximum level is reached on each. It is normal for some to have different levels, varying 20 points. You location plays a part. Also, if you relocated the antenna, is the mast plumb, and could you have messed with the elevation and skew? Where are you getting your angles from? Use Dishpointer.com.

Re: Hopper 1 Signal Levels on Different Tuners

hartbow
Camera Crew
To help define the Dish OTA tuner, single or dual pixelation issue watch live TV with your antenna cable connected to the TV tuner. It will help you decide where the problem lies. As for my case it was a weak antenna signal. Solved by re-positioning the antenna and adding a http://www.kitztech.com/products.html in line amp back at the antenna.