Hooper 3 vs Hopper 2

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hooper 3 vs Hopper 2

azalea4nc
Extra
I just upgraded from an older Hopper to a Hopper 3. This is not a question but a comment on the new Hopper what I found. The technical advances are nice, but strangely 9to me), it was accompanied by a number of things were in my opinion Dish went backwards.

There is a trend occurring with website interfaces. Many website are changing their website look to better accommodate viewing of those websites on small screens (smartphones) instead of larger screens (desktops). Unfortunately, that often makes the interface less useful on desktops.

I see the same type of chnage in the Hooper 3 interface compared to that of the older Hopper. But that does not make sense, as the Hopper 3 interface is for viewing on the attached TV. While it is possible some are viweing the screen on smaller screen devices, the main use remains on regular TV screens.

To give one example, consider the guide screen. On the old Hopper, with one press of the red button, a drop down list appears giving the choice of All channels, HD channels, My Channels, or favorites. All the different options one would want for what channels would be listed in the guide available at the touch of one button. Compact and simple. With the new Hopper, one must press Options, then gets a screen where favorite chocies are in one location and the more complete listing are in another locations. Bloated and complicated. A step in the wrong direction.

Another step in the wrong direction is the new remote that came with the Hopper 3. many of the buttons from the old remote are gone. Why, it makes the remote less handy. Yes, I want separate buttons for fast forward and skip forward. Yes I want the color buttons. Yes I want the PIP button. yes I want the page up/down button. The only good things is at least the receiver still responds to the codes sent by those buttons, even though the buttons themselves do not exist on the new remote (for those of us with universal remotes). Again, another step backwards for Dish.
2 Replies

Re: Hooper 3 vs Hopper 2

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Many of us that updated to the Hopper 3 when it was released (over a year ago) went back to using the larger remote with the extra buttons. Now that I've become more used to the smaller one (I have both connected) the old one feels too big.

Re: Hooper 3 vs Hopper 2

Chadt41411
Casting Director
peggyrh wrote:
Many of us that updated to the Hopper 3 when it was released (over a year ago) went back to using the larger remote with the extra buttons. Now that I've become more used to the smaller one (I have both connected) the old one feels too big.

That's what I have been saying since its release. A lot of the time, a difference feels weird... until the adjustment can be made.