Hiding Duplicate SD Channels

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiding Duplicate SD Channels

Roadijeff
Audio Engineer

Whenever I manually enter a channel to go to in the remote keypad (54.0) it takes me to the SD version instead of the HD.  It didn't do this until recently.  What changed?  I checked the Setup (Hopper 3) and the setting for hiding duplicate SD channels is set to ON but they still show up in the Guide.

I tried to include screen pics of all this but when I try to post the message it removes them, saying invalid HTML.  <sigh>

Let me try adding a link to them:

SD Channels in Guide

SD Channels Turned Off in Seup

6 Replies

Re: Hiding Duplicate SD Channels

Chadt4141
Casting Director
Sounds like HD signal loss.

Roadijeff
Audio Engineer

Yes, but if it is an HD signal loss why will it still let me select the HD version from the Guide?  When I do that the channel shows in full screen in HD format.  Also, since I have the option in the setup to block the SD version of each duplicate channel why does it still show them in the Guide, along with the HD version?

DISH Employee

Hi, Roadijeff! Is this happening on other channels besides the locals, or just happening on local channels? 

It looks like you have an OTA connected to your receiver. If you have an OTA connected, that could be why it is still listed each channel twice despite the setting. If you look next to the channels, it shows HD as 005-01 and SD as 005-00. If you're typing in to your controller 5, it could be going to sub-station 005-00 which is why you're getting SD instead of HD. Can I have you try manually typing in 005-01 from live TV to see if it gives you HD instead of SD?

gdisarray
Audio Engineer

That is my question.  Why do you even have SD channels over the satellite for locals?  If they are HD for OTA they should be sending an HD uplink to Dish.   SD locals should not be in your guide at all.  Do you know if they are supposed to be in HD?

Chadt4141
Casting Director
The Hd/SD does not apply to OTA. It will show all versions of the channel it pulls in.

Roadijeff
Audio Engineer

wrote:

Hi, Roadijeff! Is this happening on other channels besides the locals, or just happening on local channels? 

It looks like you have an OTA connected to your receiver. If you have an OTA connected, that could be why it is still listed each channel twice despite the setting. If you look next to the channels, it shows HD as 005-01 and SD as 005-00. If you're typing in to your controller 5, it could be going to sub-station 005-00 which is why you're getting SD instead of HD. Can I have you try manually typing in 005-01 from live TV to see if it gives you HD instead of SD?

OK, I think the problem has been fixed.  I did type in "005-01" on the remote keypad and it went to the HD version of that channel.

The other day when I first noticed this problem I ran the diagnostics and it showed 60-something on the signal strength.  I looked for anything that might be obstructing the signal.  There is one tree in the back yard that is clsoe but I'd estimate the nearest branch was at least 5' away from where the dish was aiming.  However, I decided to trim back the nearest branches. I did that today.

I came back inside and ran the diagnostics again.  This time it showed a signal strength of 100.  I did a reboot on the Hopper 3 and looked in the Guide.  My HD channels are all back and now when I press "5" on the remote it goes right to the HD version of that channel.  Smiley Happy

I just want to say thank you to everyone in this thread who helped.