HDMI-CEC

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDMI-CEC

MrHowie
Character Actor
With HDMI-CEC enabled when I turn off my TV, connected to the Hopper 3 via my surround sound receiver, the TV and surround sound receiver turn off as expected, but then in a few seconds they both turn on again.

I have done extensive trouble shooting. CEC works properly with other devices on the surround receiver. I have changed the port on the surround receiver connected to the Hopper 3 to a known good port. I have replaced the HDMI cable to the Hopper. I have replaced the Hopper 3. The only thing I can’t control is the Hopper 3 software. I am running version U347. Is this a known issue?
17 Replies

Re: HDMI-CEC

DISH Employee
The software version you have (U347) is an older version and I will provide you the steps below to make sure you are running the current Software Version;

1- Place all Joeys and the Hopper into standby mode by pressing the POWER button on either the receiver or remote.

2- Standby screen will display

3- If a software update is needed, Attention 061 will display within 15 seconds

MrHowie
Character Actor
Thanks for your input. I followed your steps, but did not get a Attention 061.
Under settings/diagnostics/upgrade software it said software is up to date.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
If you bypass the AVR, and go straight to the TV, does it work then?

MrHowie
Character Actor
Chadt4141 wrote:
If you bypass the AVR, and go straight to the TV, does it work then?

I thought your suggestion had merit and I finely got around to try it. And low and behold the CEC worked fine with just the Hopper 3 and the TV. But, without the Onkyo 1.7 receiver in the picture I have no surround sound. Not acceptable. The Hopper 3 worked with the Onkyo for months ok and my blule ray player still does work CEC with the Onkyo. This leaves me in a pickle. Do I risk $300 to replace the Onkyo receiver and hope the CEC works. Or accept not having CEC with the Hopper 3? Or hope a new software update would make all components compatible?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
In this case, we know that the HDMI-CEC is working correctly. You can install the Onyko back up, but we have reduced the problem to exist somewhere between the Onyko and the TV. That's where you'll run out of help with Dish. I would recommend TS with Onyko

MrHowie
Character Actor
Chadt4141 wrote:
In this case, we know that the HDMI-CEC is working correctly. You can install the Onyko back up, but we have reduced the problem to exist somewhere between the Onyko and the TV. That's where you'll run out of help with Dish. I would recommend TS with Onyko

I have trouble shot the issue with Onkyo and they said it is a syncing issue between cec devices, not a hardware problem. The only thing I can do is turn of cec on one device. That a new Onkyo receiver would have the same problem. So, I have turned off cec on the Hopper 3. Strange as it use to work just fine.

MrHowie
Character Actor
HDMI-CEC working correctly.
I think the problem was one of all devices being in proper sync. Here is what happened. I had the Hopper 3 HDMI-CEC turned off. I turned it back on. Note that when turning on it says "saved", but is not active right away. I turned the TV off which turned off the receiver off, left them off for the night. In the morning CEC was working properly. I know this is real science. LOL Go figure. There were no changes made to any equipment or Dish software.

Danncas
Character Actor
Its the hopper been on the phone with onkyo and sony if you unlug the hdmi for the hopper ever thing turn off and stays iff even the hopper and avr and tv

Danncas
Character Actor
So is the cec off on what?