Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDCP Compatibility

Tv does not support HDCP setting

7 Replies

Re: HDCP Compatibility

Chadt4141
Screen Writer

Is that the message you’re getting, or does your tv not support HDCP?
If it’s the message, try calling your TV manufacturer to see if the HDCP compliant device within the TV is functioning correctly.

DISH Employee

Do you see a number in the top right hand corner of that error message? 

tommyy2
Cinematographer

HDCP is a form of copyright protection and there are various versions.  If you are trying to get an HD (4k) video the sending unit, Hopper or other player, will be using a newer (probably V2.2) version to protect the content, if the receiving TV does not support the newer version (v 2.2)  the sending device will,not send out the video.  If you are watching a 1080 or lower resolution video the Player will send the picture to a TV even though it has an older version of HDCP. 

It's a never ending mess.  Some hackers have already been able to hack HDCP 2.2 so they recently released HDCP v 2.3.  I am not sure how it will be implemented or what problems this will cause but I'll bet that eventually there will be some innocent people who will be unable to watch some content because of it.

The last thing to check is if your player (Hopper etc) is wired directly to the TV, if it first goes through another device (audio system etc) then to the TV  that may produce the HDCP problem as well.  Try wiring it directly to the TV.

LZW
Extra

I am thinking that my Wally rebooting issue with increasing Internal errors is being caused by HDCP naks. I checked the Chromecast dongle at the tv set and it includes version 2.0 IIA. 

My tv is an old Samsung PN42B450B1D manufactured in 2009. From the HDCP versions I have seen, that could be a HDCP sub-2.X level or at 2.0 IIA. Being a 720 display, I could probably still be seeing all content but stacking up "Internal" errors in the Wally? 

Not sure about it, because support here is asking "the scripted" questions and is stuck in their guidelines. I sure wish that engineers would engage in the support and bring things like this to an end. The replacement Wally is now three days in-use and is already at 9 Internal errors (reboots), increasing in frequency as well...

Also, I have a second Wally and it is on a newer Visio tv set and it is not rebooting. IE; as I type this, the Wally down here in the living room is rebooting and the one up in the bedroom is not rebooting. Common sense now induces the theory that something in the connected devices is the issue, not so much the Wally. It would be a very "unpopular" solution, but if I have to buy a tv, I need the reality of the situation as a plan to resolve this.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
Have you tried swapping the receivers around and see if the issue follows the receiver or the location?

LZW
Extra

Chad: That is my plan today. 

It would be beneficial for us to focus on what logs an Internal notification advisory count in the Wally. 
The Internal log count grows equally with the reboots, for now on this unit. The Wally upstairs (#2) has a count of mid 30s since start-up at the original date of their installation, but has never been viewed having the same issue. We did check it yesterday whilst the Wally (#1) was stopped and rebooting.

• I will reply with results from the recombination of downstream devices as soon as we get a day or two of testing time.

Thanks for the reply!

tommyy2
Cinematographer

@LZW wrote:

Chad: That is my plan today. 

It would be beneficial for us to focus on what logs an Internal notification advisory count in the Wally. 
The Internal log count grows equally with the reboots, for now on this unit. The Wally upstairs (#2) has a count of mid 30s since start-up at the original date of their installation, but has never been viewed having the same issue. We did check it yesterday whilst the Wally (#1) was stopped and rebooting.

• I will reply with results from the recombination of downstream devices as soon as we get a day or two of testing time.

Thanks for the reply!

My be informative but I'd bet the receiver swap would get you a lot faster resolution to the problem.