H3 - Low FPS in Live TV?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

H3 - Low FPS in Live TV?

ck42blah
Extra
New DISH customer here. Come from being on the other side with the other sat guys for 15 years.
Have what appears to be a normal operating H3 (and Joey) setup.

What I've noticed though is that during live viewing on what appears to be any channel, is that there is a noticeable framerate reduction when, I'm guessing, enough viewing area is moving, ex, someone's head taking up 1/3 of the screen and they move across screen or rotate their head. When this happens, there is a slight, but very much noticeable stutter (lower framerate). Not huge, but noticeable...and a little annoying. Is this normal for DISH? for H3?
My next idea is to start paying attention to recorded shows and see if it's also happening there.
So far, I've disabled the PTAT...thinking maybe the additional CPU and drive overhead for these additional recordings might be causing it. Didn't make any difference.
4 Replies

Re: H3 - Low FPS in Live TV?

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
How is the Hopper connected to your TV? HDMI?
Does this seem to happen on a different TV if you have one to spare test with?
What is the resolution setting on the Hopper set for? 1080P?

hddn
Visual Engineer
I've seen this off and on for years on certain channels. (I hardly ever watch live so it's on recordings too.) Mostly it will happen to one of the locals for awhile, then be OK later. But I also see it on some cable networks, especially if they're showing old reruns. My GUESS is/was that's it's an intentional bandwidth saver for low priority channels. I find it hard to watch shows where it is happening.

I couldn't point you to a current instance though as I don't think I've seen it in weeks at least.

ck42blah
Extra
How is the Hopper connected to your TV? HDMI?
Does this seem to happen on a different TV if you have one to spare test with?
What is the resolution setting on the Hopper set for? 1080P

H3 to Denon receiver HDMI connection, then HDMI back to TV. This is after the same exact equipment, cables and everything except DirecTV receiver...for years.
I don't have a different TV to test this with.
H3 is set to 1080.

Issue continues. Comes and goes several times a minute. Just severe enough to be noticeable...and annoying.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Can you test the Hopper directly connected to the TV, by passing the AVR just to see if there is any change. Might be a issue with the H3. I use two projectors with my H3, One is 1080P and the other older one is 1080i however we run it native 720p. The 720p is the daily driver projector and we watch it with no issues. The 1080p projector is just for movies however after a movie we'll watch Hopper TV. Haven't noticed anything like this on either projector. Also the Hopper is directly connected to the project via a HDMI switch and not thru a AVR.

Another test you can try, set 720p temporarily on the Hopper and see if the same thing still happens. Change back to 1080p after testing.

If the Hopper still seems to exhibit this issue in live TV, i'd contact DISH support and ask for another unit to be sent out.