cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Free on demand partially downloading

singersp82759
Character Actor

I am trying to watch a show on "Free On DEmand". I've done this numerous times but now I'm only getting a portion of the show (about one fourth) & it just freezes. When I go to info, it shows it's still streaming, but it never finishes the download. Hitting resume does nothing, even if I wait for a few hours before doing so. I saw someone else have other problems with FVOD from back in March & DISH stated they were working on the problem. It's the end of September now. How long does it take? I even tried unpluging my main box & plugging it back in. My system has 3 Joey's but only one of them is on being watched. Anyone else have this problem or a solution? I don't want to sit on hold with DISH trying to get an answer or being transfered to someone else who transfers me to someone else.

8 Replies

Re: Free on demand partially downloading

Shayne
Extra

We have the same problem.  Some shows never download or will constantly buffer.  We rarely do On-Demand anymore for these reasons.

Chadt4141
Production Manager
What is your internet download and upload speeds? If it drops below a certain speed, it will timeout. This is usually with DSL and satellite internet.

singersp82759
Character Actor

I have cable internet that's usually running between 30+ to 60Mbps. I checked it that day via my wireless laptop & Speedtest & it was running just over 50Mbps. However, I noticed when I did an info while it was buffering it would sometimes be as low as 2.5Mbs - 4+Mbs but I also saw 22+Mbps at times. The other thing I noticed is that it would stop & buffer only at times when it would normally be going to a commercial break if I was watching the program live. I finally just tried it again & just let it play & checked it once in awhile. It took about 4 hours to finish a 1-1/2 hour show. When I whent to DVR-DISH rentals to watch it, it showed I had 28 days (I believe) to watch it, but when I tried to watch it, 0 minutes of it recorded. Also worth noting is I never have any issues with partially recording of shows when I set my DVR to record them.

DISH Employee

Have you tried accessing the content from a different internet connection. It's possible that your ISP is throttling the connection when streaming video. It's strange that your connection would drop so significantly during the download.

singersp82759
Character Actor

No, I haven't tried that. I only have 1 internet service in the house, so I don't even know how I can attempt that. I have no issues streaming videos on my laptop, nor does my son have any issues streaming YouTube videos on his TV via Roku. I wonder if it has something to do with my hard drive connecting to the internet via wifi & then the Joey connecting to the hard drive via wifi. My hard drive box is close enough to ethernet it directly to my modem, but unfortunately there's no port available to do so. There is only two of them & they both are used to connect Joeys.

DISH Employee

Do you have a mobile device with data that you can try accessing the content on via the DISH Anywhere app?

singersp82759
Character Actor

No mobile device with unlimited data.

DISH Employee

Hello singersp82759, we would suggest contacting our Broadband department for the best support. Please dial 1-800-333-3474 and ask the representative to transfer you to Broadband Support.