Formatted USB HDD doesn't show up?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formatted USB HDD doesn't show up?

I have an external drive (3TB usb 3.0) that I plugged into my Hopper (2TB version) and it asked me to format it. I told it ok and the hopper I guess restarted itself once the format was complete but at this point, the usb drive does not show up in the external storage menu.

I'm not sure what else I can do besides maybe nuke the partitions on the drive and start over and hope things go better this time?? The drive functioned perfectly fine for over a year now hooked up to my PC so I know it's working normally.
4 Replies

Re: Formatted USB HDD doesn't show up?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Hard drives that are over 2 gb are not supported. Some have gotten it to work, however there are no guarantees.

Well that stinks. I've got about 1.4 gigs of recordings I'd love to just dump over to keep but I guess I'll grab one of my smaller drives then.

Thanks for the info. Dish should really put that in the external drive page or even just say that the drive is too high of capacity when it detects it for formatting.

peggyrh
Associate Producer

no i mean that needs to be in the actual menu where it's telling you to plug in a USB drive. If I plug in a drive and it wants to format it, there is an inherent assumption that it is ok with it.