Failure: Netflix, YouTube, Dish on Demand... Internet, router, server, connect, nw-8-22 error etc.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failure: Netflix, YouTube, Dish on Demand... Internet, router, server, connect, nw-8-22 error etc.

Jen
Character Actor

We recently were persuaded to upgrade to a Hopper 3 rather than leave Dish for DTV.
Two weeks in we STILL can't access any of the internet apps (Netflix, D on D, YouTube...).
I have spent hours on the phone and chat between being disconnected and explaining the issues only to be walked through the tech processes which I already know by heart:  various resets, checking various settings including Bridging... reseting my own router & (although not for everyone) going over all the settings in the router setup as well.  At long last I was informed that one of 2 things was happening, either my hopper was defective or my router was but because my router was a brand that was not supported, I would have to install a new router from one of the brands which are.  Thus ended my access to tech support.  I happen to be something of a tech geek for an at home mom and have a spare Apple Airport soooooo, my home wiri switched over to my Airport router and... Nope - no improvement in usibility, although the wifi connection & server connection to the internet did briefly go green and connect.  The hopper then ran some sort of update on itself and we were back to failure again.   All this effort and time on an issue which (no THIS is the part that is enraging) Dish has known about since at least 2016 (which is the first msg I found referncing this specifically)!!!   The latest response from Dish, I read on another thread here in these forums is the following:

"I understand going without the Youtube feature has been extremely frustrating. We do not charge anything for the use of any of the apps (Pandora, Netflix, Youtube, etc). These features are provided based on the Hopper you have. There does seem to be an issue with the software, and because of this we are relying on our Engineering Team to find a solution to this issue. We haven't forgotten about any of the issues with the apps. We are still working everyday on trying to find what's causing these issues and resolve them. At this time, we still don't have an updated timeline when they will be resolved."

OK - I contract for 2 years to use a Hopper 3 and ALL of it's features, not pay per feature as well as my programming package.  That section of his comment was just snide.  Dish on Demand is part of that set of features that fails as a result of this issue.

The Engineering Team has had at least 2 years to get this right.  I understand bugs.  That said, if there isn't a fix within 90 days of product release, you don't have a bug, you have a defective product. After that you have some serious legal issues if you continue to claim services which you do not provide.

I request that my Dish Hopper 3 & Joeys work, as promised.  I request an engineer on the phone with me and possibly a technician at my home until it is up and running.  Today was monday.  It is not a weekend.  There is no reason this can not be expidited and addressed tues or wed.  If for some reason, the Dish products need any sort of adapter or translator to work with one or the other of my wireless routers, that technician should come with it in his vehicle at no extra charge so that the Dish system & service which is contracted for 2 years will actually deliver 2 full years of all features and services.  We have already lost enough time.  For each day of the 730 days, perhaps Dish would be more willing to pay toward us using DTV's services instead... 

If this were not an issue that has been raised repeatedly for years and yet unaddressed...
If I had not spent an enormous amount of time addressing it with tech support to no avail...
If I had not just recently re-upped with Dish when I was leaving for DTV because the customer service person I checked with about removing our dish & equipment hadn't told me about all these wonderful features...
If I hadn't seen the same flippant responses repeatedly when others raised the issues, (it's your router, it's your settings, try resetting your system, call your ISP, and then the whopper: our engineers are working on it)...
... I wouldn't be so acerbic.  But at this point, I am ready to cut to the chase.  I want it taken care of.  I don't want to be mislead or otherwise strung along.  

I want solutions not excuses.   There is time & money at stake - it's not too much to expect.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Failure: Netflix, YouTube, Dish on Demand... Internet, router, server, connect, nw-8-22 error et

Jen
Character Actor

Realistically, the small print can still be challenged legally after a two year "bug" that has had the best response being "our engineers are working on it."  That said,  1st, the main reason for the wifi choice for our family is because the tv is located in a position where wifi is the only pragmatic solution, to run an ethernet cable across our home is unacceptable as is paying someone to tear apart our walls to run it through conduit etc. (log home with post & beam which is an even more challenging and expensive than traditional "stick built" homes).  We could have opted for an alternative solution through other providers but were conviced by the DishNet sales team that this would be excellent (this was during the conversation when we called to see if we needed to have our prior dish & equipment removed when we switched and sales advocated very strongly, insisting that Dish could & would meet all the needs, demands, requests & concerns we had).  
As it happens, I am one of those tech savvy people who happen to have lots of spare parts in my posession as well as a better understanding of networks etc. than most.  

For other customers who are struggling with this:
I ran a 2nd Ethernet cable from the point of entry into my home through my basement and drilled an 1 1/4" hole through the log nearest my tv then a 2nd hole at 90° to meet the first to feet my ethernet cable up through into the access.  Plugging it into the DishNet Hopper 3 directly did NOT work BUT I used a 2nd router (an Apple Airport Extreme I had lying around) and plugged the ethernet into the Airport and used another Ethernet from the Airport into the Hopper 3.  Then I reset the Network Settings under Settings on my Hopper3 which was an effective solution allowing me to successfully access Dish on Demand as well as Netflix and YouTube.  
There is no reason in the world that I should have had to modify my home, run a second cable, use a second router as a passthrough all to get what should have worked seamlessly over my home's wifi but there you have it - a work around that actully works.

5 Replies

Re: Failure: Netflix, YouTube, Dish on Demand... Internet, router, server, connect, nw-8-22 error et

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
There wouldn’t be any legal issues... this is covered in the service agreement and contract.

Have you tried bypassing the WiFi and testing with a LAN connection?
Highlighted

Jen
Character Actor

Realistically, the small print can still be challenged legally after a two year "bug" that has had the best response being "our engineers are working on it."  That said,  1st, the main reason for the wifi choice for our family is because the tv is located in a position where wifi is the only pragmatic solution, to run an ethernet cable across our home is unacceptable as is paying someone to tear apart our walls to run it through conduit etc. (log home with post & beam which is an even more challenging and expensive than traditional "stick built" homes).  We could have opted for an alternative solution through other providers but were conviced by the DishNet sales team that this would be excellent (this was during the conversation when we called to see if we needed to have our prior dish & equipment removed when we switched and sales advocated very strongly, insisting that Dish could & would meet all the needs, demands, requests & concerns we had).  
As it happens, I am one of those tech savvy people who happen to have lots of spare parts in my posession as well as a better understanding of networks etc. than most.  

For other customers who are struggling with this:
I ran a 2nd Ethernet cable from the point of entry into my home through my basement and drilled an 1 1/4" hole through the log nearest my tv then a 2nd hole at 90° to meet the first to feet my ethernet cable up through into the access.  Plugging it into the DishNet Hopper 3 directly did NOT work BUT I used a 2nd router (an Apple Airport Extreme I had lying around) and plugged the ethernet into the Airport and used another Ethernet from the Airport into the Hopper 3.  Then I reset the Network Settings under Settings on my Hopper3 which was an effective solution allowing me to successfully access Dish on Demand as well as Netflix and YouTube.  
There is no reason in the world that I should have had to modify my home, run a second cable, use a second router as a passthrough all to get what should have worked seamlessly over my home's wifi but there you have it - a work around that actully works.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
It’s not small print. It is also very explicit. Challenge would go entirely unsuccessful for a couple reasons. As you have proven, it works. It also works for the majority. Also, in addition to it being covered explicitly in the contractual terms, you also waive your right to a lawsuit.

Docshull
Extra
I have been reading over this two year issue as well, I have done everything possible and still can't get Netflix or youtube to work on the hopper 3. Why would you promote a broken product. This on top of the fact you can't negotiate contracts with local and other channels is the reason we will be leaving dish when our contract is up soon. Products should work as advertised.

DISH Employee

Docshull, I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue, I'd be happy to take a closer look for you and see if there is anything we can do to get it working.

We would hate to lose you as a valued DISH customer. I would be glad to review your account for available options to keep you with us! Can you please send me a private message with your phone number and 4 digit security code? Please follow the instructions found here: https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039