cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External hard drive

Glenn636
Character Actor
First time poster.

Would Dish support pls explain why a 3TB external hard drive won't work with both 722k and 222k? Could it work? If only 2TB are formatted what does it matter about the remainder? 2TB EHDs with external power are hard to find.
Also will USB powered EHD such as a WD My Passport ABSOLUTELY not work? These are more readily available.
I guess for these questions I'm wanting to know the technical reasoning.

Thanks.
10 Replies

Re: External hard drive

Chadt41411
Casting Director

It's not saying it cannot work, but anything greater than 2TB is not supported because of its inability to be consistent. Also, DRM plays a large part in some of this. Same for the USB powered EHD, the USB port does not supply enough power to allow it to work. Your mileage may vary.

Glenn636
Character Actor
Would it be possible to use a 1 or 2 TB SSD like a WD Passport HE? USB powered?

Chadt41411
Casting Director

I don't believe SSD drives will work.

Glenn636
Character Actor
At this time all I want a drive for is to transfer DVR recordings from a 722k that crapped out to a replacement drive being sent to me. I'm thinking a flash drive might even work for this purpose.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Dish specifically says flash drives don't work.

For an External Hard Drive to be compatible with a DISH HD receiver, it must meet the following requirements:
Have its own power supply.
Be between 50GB and 2TB in size.
Have a single disk drive (flash memory is not compatible)

MichaelK
Character Actor

I used a USB-powered drive on a 612, 722, and now on my Hopper. I can say that there is no problem with such a device. It's a WD Elements USB 2.0 500GB drive.
I also have this unit on my Hopper:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236137
Perhaps you can find someone selling a used one.

Nota bene: USB 3.0 probably won't work. I tried one -- had to return it.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
MichaelK wrote:
I used a USB-powered drive on a 612, 722, and now on my Hopper. I can say that there is no problem with such a device. It's a WD Elements USB 2.0 500GB drive.
I also have this unit on my Hopper:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236137
Perhaps you can find someone selling a used one.

Nota bene: USB 3.0 probably won't work. I tried one -- had to return it.

It may work for you, but if it ever stops, they do warn that it is NOT supported. And it is not guaranteed to work often.

Glenn636
Character Actor
Thanks. I could never understand why it wouldn't work. I never intended to leave it connected. Only to transfer to a replacement 722.
As it turns out I sent the old 722 back to DISH and lost all my recorded programs.

If onlyDISH would have been forthright about what the capabilities really were.

Scarlyt
Character Actor

I've been after them for a long time about this problem.  It's impossible to get external hard drives 2TB and under that have their own power source now unless you get used ones that have been beaten up and won't last long from craig's list or something.  No one makes them anymore.  I've been on Dish about this since it started getting very hard to find them, and now it's impossible.  I tried getting a portable one (the only way to get one in the size realm required now) and tried it just tonight and now I'm pissed.  I hooked it up (a WD elements portable 2TB) and it was recognized and reformatted and let me transfer a couple things just fine without any problem.  So I started transferring more stuff and after about an hour I got an error message saying the transfer was corrupted.  Then I got a message saying I connected an unsupported device.  My brand spanking new hard drive is now worthless and wasted because I tried the only option we have left.  Dish won't do anything about the whole situation of the 722 and 722k not taking anything that exists now thereby making us unable to record and keep anything.  They won't give us any help or support for this problem or do any sort o software update to make it possible to use larger hard drives.  The smallest I can find anymore that meets the other requirements are 4TB.  I also understand (from a customer and the web site) that even the hopper doesn't accept anything bigger.  That means a HUGE customer base that's going to be up in arms because we can't save anything anymore because they won't do anything about it.