External Hard Drives partially recognized

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Hard Drives partially recognized

Pontiffp
Character Actor
I recently upgraded from a 622 to Hopper 3 w/ Sling. I was assured that my EHDs from the 622 would be compatible with the Hopper, but, even after replacing with a 2nd Hopper, I still can't view my recordings.

When I power up any of my 4 EHDs, I get the notification that the EHD has been connected. When I go to EHDs in DVR: Source, it shows the percentage of the EHD that has been recorded, but no recordings are visible.
I've tried every USB port, rebooted, unplugged, etc. (spent nearly 1.5 hrs on the phone with support techs - who seemed unfamiliar with this issue).

Has anyone resolved a similar experience?
9 Replies

Re: External Hard Drives partially recognized

hddn
Visual Engineer
Has anyone told you they would "send a hit" to your receiver?

Pontiffp
Character Actor
The support people I spoke to sent a "Signal" a few times, but it never seemed to help.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
How long has this current Hopper been installed?

Pontiffp
Character Actor
I just rec'd the 2nd Hopper last night, so it was running for 4-5 hrs. while trying various options for the EHDs. The 1st ran for a week before swapping it out.

Pontiffp
Character Actor
After many hours trying to get these EHDs to play on my Hopper 3, I finally talked to a Sr. tech who said that they are incompatible systems (sales person & earlier techs said they would work together). :x

Sr. tech & supervisor both told me I need to buy a refurbished 622, and wouldn't let me keep my old one (which works fine for viewing EHD recordings, even with no satellite or internet connections).

Another tech later told me that I will have to activate the new 622 to view my EHD recordings, but they can't activate it because I have an activated Hopper 3 on my account! He also told me I couldn't keep my old Smart Card to test with the new DVR. Does anyone know if the old Smart Card would even work in a different 622?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Paul

DISH Employee
Pontiffp wrote:
After many hours trying to get these EHDs to play on my Hopper 3, I finally talked to a Sr. tech who said that they are incompatible systems (sales person & earlier techs said they would work together). :x

Sr. tech & supervisor both told me I need to buy a refurbished 622, and wouldn't let me keep my old one (which works fine for viewing EHD recordings, even with no satellite or internet connections).

Another tech later told me that I will have to activate the new 622 to view my EHD recordings, but they can't activate it because I have an activated Hopper 3 on my account! He also told me I couldn't keep my old Smart Card to test with the new DVR. Does anyone know if the old Smart Card would even work in a different 622?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Paul

Hello Paul. Unfortunately your VIP receiver (VIP 622) isn't compatible with the XIP (Hopper). The smart cards to linked to the receivers. Was your 622 purchased or leased?

Also more info about the EHD can be found here -----> http://www.mydish.com/support/use-ehd

Pontiffp
Character Actor
Hi Mark,

Thanks. The DVR was leased.

While I still have my old, functioning 622, can you think of a way that I could get the Hopper 3 & 622 connected to record my external recordings during playback onto the Hopper's internal HDD, and then later export them to a newly re-formatted EHD?

Thanks,
Paul

DISH Employee
Pontiffp wrote:
Hi Mark,

Thanks. The DVR was leased.

While I still have my old, functioning 622, can you think of a way that I could get the Hopper 3 & 622 connected to record my external recordings during playback onto the Hopper's internal HDD, and then later export them to a newly re-formatted EHD?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul, I'm sorry to say that the two units aren't compatible. They also record in different formats and won't recognize each other's content. If your Hopper is connected to the internet, it's very possible that some of the programming you're wanting can be under the free on demand area. You download it like a PPV or VOD, but it's free, if it's a channel you're subscribed to.

AggregatVier
Extra

My problem is when we first connected the hard drive to a Hopper 3 it recognized the drive and the saved recordings on it.  Then two days later it only shows there's a drive with 6% used but no longer lists the recordings?  What the Hades is up and why isn't there a conversion program?  It seems like being sent to a life boat when changing receivers and then finding it has a hole in the bottom.  Thank you!