External Hard Drive...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Hard Drive...

webelder
Costume Designer
I have read a great number of "Forums" on this subject and take most with a grain of salt....BUT...please somebody give me a FACTUAL answer......I have read if you use an external hard drive to save DVR programming through DISHTV service....that you can only play it back through DISHTV equipment...?? That hooking up the external storage to any other DVR except a DISHTV DVR...will not work due to encryption of some nature...is this true in any form whatsoever...???? I planned to eventually back-up my saved programs to a external hard drive and since my 722K is getting old..buy my own DVR and pay DISHTV's fee for doing so...but not if all my stored material will be useless and unplayable...??? Any factual replies welcome....
3 Replies

Re: External Hard Drive...

This is true. The EHD on DVRs will only work and be seen by our DVRs. Also, the receivers that this is connected to has to be on the same account, active and have signal
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

webelder
Costume Designer
Ok...Thanks. Not the answer I was hoping for...lol! But if I do save my programs to an external hard drive,then at least if my 722K kicks the bucket..then the replacement DVR from Dishtv would hook up and play my saved programs...am I correct.....??? (yes,I would still have the same account,etc...)

Beastdrvr
Character Actor
Yes, saved programs on EHD would play on your new Dish box on the original account. I've done this several times when getting new boxes. I even took all my recordings from a 722 and loaded them onto a Hopper when I switched several years ago. Just has to be original account. Taking EHD to friends house's dish box isn't suppose to work...never tried it though.