cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

External Hard Drive

PCHearn
Costume Designer

I have an OLD Hopper thta works pretty good most of the time.  I added an external hard Drive (EHD).  I have a couple of questions.  I bet someone has the answers.

Do the recordings produced by timers always record on the DVR, or can they record directly onto the EHD?  Right now, I keep moving, and moving, and moving episodes to the EHD as they continue to record on the DVR.  I would prefer to have them record directly onto the EHD. 

So I have some episodes of the same TV series on the EHD and some on the DVR.  If I specify to record new and reruns, does the Hopper know about the episodes on the EHD, and not record them again onto the DVR, or does the Hopper only "see" the episodes on the DVR and record the episodes again that are already on the EHD?

Probably simple questions.  Thank for your help.

4 Replies

Re: External Hard Drive

TGTAYLOR1
Character Actor

Have you tried setting up a folder, and setting the timmer to record to that folder and just move the folder to th EHD?

Just a thought.

DISH Employee

PCHearn, the recordings will also record to the Hopper first, then you would have to transfer the recordings to an external hard drive. At this time, there is not a way for it to move directly to the external hard drive. 

The Hopper will only see the recordings that are on its hard drive. So it will record the episodes that are external hard drive. 

Markustx
Extra

please be advised that the hard drive will probably stop communicating with your hopper, as mine and many other members, and you will be ignored by customer service, as has happened to me and many others. Check it out before you waste your time on the external hd "feature". 

baldman1
Audio Engineer

@Markustx wrote:

please be advised that the hard drive will probably stop communicating with your hopper, as mine and many other members, and you will be ignored by customer service, as has happened to me and many others. Check it out before you waste your time on the external hd "feature". 

Could you expand on that statement. I've had my EHD for a year and half now and no problems. I've had my Hopper2/sling for a little over 3 years and no problems.