Events -vs-Timers

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Events -vs-Timers

winy68
Camera Crew
I've been having a lot of trouble with my hopper 3 lately.
one of the tech support people told me i was over the limit on events, but not timers.

She was unable to tell me how i can see the number of events i have but just told me
the number i have.

questions...
1) where can i see how many events i have.
2) how can i lower my events - to see if that resolves some of my hopper 3 issues.

thanks
6 Replies

Re: Events -vs-Timers

stile99
Cinematographer
winy68 wrote:
I've been having a lot of trouble with my hopper 3 lately.
one of the tech support people told me i was over the limit on events, but not timers.

She was unable to tell me how i can see the number of events i have but just told me
the number i have.

questions...
1) where can i see how many events i have.
2) how can i lower my events - to see if that resolves some of my hopper 3 issues.

thanks

Not sure what an event is, but the schedule tab shows approximately the next week (actually 8 or 9 days) of scheduled recordings. You didn't say exactly what the problem you are having is, but one thing I have noticed is there seems to be a 'limit' of 50 records of one show. So for example, if there's a Simpsons marathon, there are more than 50 episodes of that show, but only 50 will be listed. This is a rolling 50 though, so once episodes 1-10 are recorded, the guide will shows episodes 11-60. The marathon will be recorded.

If you need to reduce the number of entries in the schedule tab, just highlight one of the future recordings and you can remove it, or you can delete timers, that will remove their entries from the schedule tab.

I don't think event means recordings saved, because in the past when FXX had a Simpsons marathon, I recorded the whole thing, that's how I discovered the limit of 50.

Going back to the schedule tab, however, if this is what they mean by events then it makes no sense...unless the problem is looking through the schedule tab and not seeing something you think should be scheduled, any problem caused by too many future recordings would disappear fairly quickly when the items in the schedule tab get recorded, therefore lowering the number of entries.

JSracer
Audio Engineer
going back to the 722k, timers were the main say pawn stars for example. not that show may be on 40 times that week, those would be the events, so the total timers, plus show airings of those shows, adds up to the events.
hope that makes sense.

sorry i'm not able to help with seeing the number of events,

winy68
Camera Crew
thanks for the replies.
at this point I'm not sure if it's a problem or not.

I had a tech support person tell me that i was over the limit of something like 500 and it was a problem, however another rep - a dr dish level rep told me not to worry about it that its nothing to worry about. she also looked it up in my profile and said that it was now over 50,000!!!! so according to that it grew from about 600 to over 50,000 in about a week - it could be from all the trouble i've been having and doing partial resets etc.

as for problems i have the following.

1) shows not recording at all - error 1281
2) recording duplicate shows even tho my timer is new only.
3) schedule not up to correct date and time/ not recording daily shows.
4) frequently while browsing the guide, my hopper 3 will do some kind of reset, where
my screen goes black, and the h3 resets
5) after doing partial restore to correct 1281 - the h3 will freeze as i try to restore from my remote.
6) guide info not fully downloaded, inspite of having tuners available overnight, I even left the h3 turned
off from midnight until noon to no avail (guide info such as movie descriptions, cast info etc)

stile99
Cinematographer
winy68 wrote:
thanks for the replies.
at this point I'm not sure if it's a problem or not.

I had a tech support person tell me that i was over the limit of something like 500 and it was a problem, however another rep - a dr dish level rep told me not to worry about it that its nothing to worry about. she also looked it up in my profile and said that it was now over 50,000!!!! so according to that it grew from about 600 to over 50,000 in about a week - it could be from all the trouble i've been having and doing partial resets etc.

as for problems i have the following.

1) shows not recording at all - error 1281
3) schedule not up to correct date and time/ not recording daily shows.
4) frequently while browsing the guide, my hopper 3 will do some kind of reset, where
my screen goes black, and the h3 resets
5) after doing partial restore to correct 1281 - the h3 will freeze as i try to restore from my remote.
6) guide info not fully downloaded, inspite of having tuners available overnight, I even left the h3 turned
off from midnight until noon to no avail (guide info such as movie descriptions, cast info etc)

Did this start within about the last week or so? A lot of these sound like issues that have been reported with the latest software.

JSracer
Audio Engineer

i had a few last night, some didn't have a season and episode number, and the guide description is more generic

winy68
Camera Crew
yes these problems started about a week ago.

Incidentally - how bad is the software development team? - is it echostar?

I worked as a developer for almost 30 years and before we released ANY software it had to go thru a complex series of quality assurance testing and retesting. This was for internal reporting software - nothing that a customer would use. They could also really benefit from a user interface design team that understands ease of use and maximizing simplicity and utilizing screen space. I mean how bad is the add favorite channels screen? (as one example)

I find it hard to believe they'd release software with this many problems yet here we are.
i've had dish for more than 20 years and think this is the end of the line for me.