Error 021 - Smartcard Not Inserted

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 021 - Smartcard Not Inserted

SS29er
Extra
Starting a new topic because a search for 021 came up empty.

Beginning last night I received the following error:

"Smartcard Not Inserted 021
Please insert your smart card."

I have a Hopper with Sling, a SuperJoey and two Joey 2.0 receivers. All are displaying the error.

I have re-seated the card many times, reset the Hopper many times, and powered off/unplugged all receivers many times (both in sequence and all at once).

I can sometimes get a couple minutes of live television out of the main Hopper before it errors out, but never from any of the Joeys. Most of the time all receivers come up at the Dish Diagnostics screen where everything seems OK. Cancelling out of the diag screen results in the 021 error screen.

Anyone experience this?
13 Replies

Re: Error 021 - Smartcard Not Inserted

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Sounds like your Hopper needs replaced.

BLOC
Extra

I just got off the phone with tech support regarding this exact problem.  They ran diagnostics and did a software upgrade.  Seems to be working fine now, but the representative did say that if it happens again, the Hopper will probably need to be replaced.

Gkennedy0969
Character Actor
Mine started doing this two days ago.. so they sent me a new receiver... Now this one is doing the same thing

DISH Employee

That's definitely not something that should be happening, Gkennedy0969. I'd love to check some things with you to get this resolved.

Do you have our Hopper 2000, Hopper with Sling, or Hopper 3? 

Highlighted

Gkennedy0969
Character Actor
So it turns out it was the smart card in my super Joey this whole time so we switched to a new received and lost all of our recordings for nothing.

DISH Employee

Oh, no! I hate to hear you had this experience with getting the issue resolved. I know losing all the recordings is frustrating, and do apologize about that. Is everything working okay for you now? 

Gkennedy0969
Character Actor
Seems to be yes. When I got up mom didn't say that it was doing it again.

DISH Employee

Okay, great! If it does start happening again, please don't hesitate to get back with us. We're here to help!

tslaten
Extra

I'm getting the same thing, seems like every week.  I'm tired of calling and having the dish support tell me to do this, do that, now do this when what they need to do is get on my account and just fix it.  It's very frustrating when I've been a customer for 15 years and have never had a problem until I get the Hopper with sling and Joeys almost one year ago.

Insert smart card

blank screens

rebooting hopper, joey and super joey

wait

wait some more

resetting, unplugging

blah blah blah

There is obviously an issue if a lot of people are getting the same error.  My equipment is not even a year old and have had this issue more times in 4 months than i have in 14 years!