cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

EHD disappears every morning

docdaddy
Character Actor
Hopper 3, two 4K Joeys. Hopper has latest update as do the Joeys.

I've had this problem for over a year now. Did not have it two years ago when I first got my H3. Problem is this: Every morning (almost - probably 9 out of 10 mornings) my EHD disappears from my DVR list. It takes several reboots (doesn't seem to matter if it's a menu Hopper reset or a red button hard reset) to get it to show up.

It does not seem to be EHD brand or type related. It happens if I use a MyBook desktop EHD with it's own power source, a Seagate EHD through a powered USB port, or any of several I've tried. Exact same behavior. I've actively disabled sleep mode on the drives like the MyBook that have them, and also used drives that have no sleep mode.

This is very frustrating, Once I've got the EHD recognized and visible in the DVR list, it stays there all day and night. But next morning when we get up (around 6 am) it's gone.

Help!
6 Replies

Re: EHD disappears every morning

DISH Employee

Did all the hard drives you tried follow the compatibility guidelines?

Have its own power supply (some can have their own built-in power supply)
Use a USB 2.0-compatible cable
Meet capacity requirements for your receiver
Connected to Hopper: minimum 320 GB, maximum 2 TB
Have a single disk drive (flash memory is not compatible)

https://www.mydish.com/support/use-ehd

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

For the past week or so the entire DVR SOURCES Tile/Thumbnail disappears almost every morning.

Prior to this I've had one of my EHD's (could be either one or both) just disappear from the DVR SOURCES Tile/Thumbnail on ocassion...no set pattern, just at random. This has been going on for a couple of years sometimes ocurring regularly over a 2 - 3 week period and sometimes everything will be just fine for months at a time...it makes no sense.

Sometimes the missing EHD's would come back by just unplugging & replugging the power from the offending EHD or with just a simple push of the reset button or reset from the diagnostics menu but sometimes it (they) won't reappear at all unless I pull the Hopper 3 w/Sling plug for 30 seconds but then it (they) always comes back. It's really a pain when you want to view something on the EHD (which is no longer showing up) and the Hopper 3 w/Sling is in the middle of recording something so you have to wait to reset the Hopper until the recording is done so you don't interupt the recording.

Over the past few weeks this has been happening more often (one or both EHD's missing) and over the past week the entire DVR SOURCES Tile/Thumbnail began disappearing almost every morning and again this morning the entire DVR SOURCES Tile/Thumbnail was again missing so, because I have scheduled recordings running for most of the day, I'm waiting for recordings to finish so that I can unplug the Hopper...until then nobody can watch anything from any of the DVR's, internal or external.

Note that when the entire DVR SOURCES Tile/Thumbnail disappears, sometimes it will come back with just a simple push of the reset button or a reset from the diagnostics menu but most of the time it requires unplugging the Hopper 3 before it will reappear.

Hopper 3 w/sling (U531) and both EHD'S are WD 2TB My Book USB 3.0 drives (Dish recommended).

DISH Employee

We're aware of the issue with external hard drives, KachinaShadow, and I've submitted this feedback on your behalf. The only workaround currently is to try another USB port, or reset the external hard drive as you've been doing.

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

PhoenixM,

It was just the EHD's but, as mentioned in my post, now there's an issue with the entire SOURCES Tile/Thumbnail disappearing so if I have recordings in progress nobody can access even the internal DVR until I am able to reboot the Hopper 3.

Do you know if this is an issue that's being worked on? 

I have started a new post for this issue..."DVR SOURCES Tile/Thumbnail disappears almost every morning" since it seems to be a seperate issue than just the EHD's disappearing.

https://communities.dish.com/t5/At-Home/DVR-SOURCES-Tile-Thumbnail-disappears-almost-every-morning/m...

Paul

DISH Employee

Yes, that is part of the reported issue.

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

Hope it all gets fixed soon. I've been with Dish for years but between the HBO/Cinemax debaucle and now this, it's getting harder to justify the expense.

I could handle the EHD's disappearing since, if you really needed to view something on it and couldn't reboot the Hopper at the time, you could usually make them come back with multiple tries at unplugging the EHD until it came back. And now with even the internal DVR (which has mostly current content that someone might want to view the next day) disappearing and you're unable to do a Hopper reboot, it's just like not having any DVR which has always been the big selling point of the Hopper.

Please lean on the techs to get this solved ASAP.

Thanks

Paul