EHD disappears every morning after system reboot

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHD disappears every morning after system reboot

RobStl
Extra

My EHD (My Book 2 TB with it's own power supply - approved by Dish) disappears after every morning system reboot. Every single morning! The only way I can get it back is to unplug the EHD from the Hopper 3, plug it back in, then reboot the Hopper 3. The EHD then re-appears but only for that day. After the next daily reboot, the EHD disappears. 

It did not used to be this way. Dish broke this functionality with software update sometime in the past few months or so.

6 Replies

Re: EHD disappears every morning after system reboot

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
Have you checked the EHd to see if it has a sleep function? The Dish equipment tends not to wake a sleeping hard drive.

RobStl
Extra

I've had this drive connected to my Hopper3 for more than three years.  Sleep mode or not, there was never a problem with disappearing until fairly recently. The only thing that has changed is the Hopper3 software.

As for sleep mode, maybe it is possible to change it if connected to a computer but it is not, and this drive was specifically named by Dish as a compatible drive.

Highlighted

baldman1
Visual Engineer

Do a hard reboot on the Hopper(pull the plug) and see if that helps if not after the hard boot if you still have the problem disconnect the harddrive and wait 10 seconds and plug it back in.

RobStl
Extra

I have done a hard reboot of the Hopper3 as well but it did not solve the problem of the EHD disappearing every morning after the daily reboot.

DISH Employee

RobStl, I would like to report this issue to our Engineering Team, can you please send me a private message with your account number and security code? 

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

I, like many others have had this same issue with the EHD's disappearing. Like RobStl, I didn't have this issue (disappearing every morning) for quite some time but the past week it's back to being a daily thing.

Prior to this I've had one of my EHD's (could be either one or both) just disappear from the DVR SOURCES Tile/Thumbnail on ocassion...no set pattern, just at random. This had been going on for a couple of years sometimes ocurring regularly over a 2 - 3 week period and sometimes everything will be just fine for months at a time...it makes no sense.

Sometimes the missing EHD's would come back by just unplugging & replugging the power from the offending EHD or with just a simple push of the reset button or reset from the diagnostics menu but sometimes it (they) won't reappear at all unless I pull the Hopper 3 w/Sling plug for 30 seconds but then it (they) almost always comes back (sometimes just one will come back). It's really a pain when you want to view something on the EHD (which is no longer showing up) and the Hopper 3 w/Sling is in the middle of recording something so you have to wait to reset the Hopper until the recording is done so you don't interupt the recording.

Hopper 3 w/sling (U531) and both EHD'S are WD 2TB My Book USB 3.0 drives (Dish recommended).