EHD disappears and then Netflix stops working

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHD disappears and then Netflix stops working

docdaddy
Character Actor

Hopper 3, two 4K Joeys, 507 update on H3. Almost every morning my EHD disappears from my recordings list. I have to reboot at least two or three times. I'm using a recommended 2T MyBook external USB drive with its own supplied power source. Sleep mode is turned off. I've also tried about 6 other brands and types of EHDs, all within Dish's recommendations, and the problem is the same. BUT here is something very odd, that I supsect would give a Dish engineer who knows the H3 welll a clue:

Whenever the EHD disappears Netflix stops working (on the H3 and the 4K Joeys.) If the EHD has disappeared, trying to start Netflix results in the initial Netflix screeen coming up, but the audio from the channel that was previous playing continues to play, and the system hangs with that Netflix screen on the TV screen. Back, DVR, Live TV, no buttons work, you have to do a reboot to get out of it. THIS HAPPENS EVERY TIME MY EHD HAS DISAPPEARED FROM MY RECORDINGS LIST. If I reboot the system to get the EHD back and get it back, Netflix plays normally.

This happens on both my H3 and my 4K Joeys. I could not believe there was any link between my EHD disappearing in the morning from my Recordings listings and Netflix, thought it must be a coincidence, but I have run the experiment 21 times now, and every time the results are the same.

I would really like someone from Dish support to weigh in on this (and please don't just give me the Dish requirements for an EHD, as I said, I've read those and all my EHDs that I have tried meet those requirements and it is not specific to any one brand or style of EHD as I've tried with 6 or 7 different brands and styles.)

Thanks

11 Replies

Re: EHD disappears and then Netflix stops working

Community Manager
Community Manager

docdaddy wrote:

Hopper 3, two 4K Joeys, 507 update on H3.

The current version for our Hopper 3 is 5.08. From your Hopper,  press the Home button 3 times, then select Tools > Upgrade Software > Upgrade Now.

Please update us if the issue continues while on the new update. 

docdaddy
Character Actor

Why does my reply to this thread always disappear? As I said in my reply (which is now gone) I am on 508 and have been for a couple of weeks, but that has not fixed the problem. Got up this morning and, as usual, EHD was no listed in the recordings, and tested and sure enough Netflix didn't work either. Rebooted (red button reset) on Hopper 3 and EHD came back and Netflix worked again.

Please don't delete my replies! I've been waiting for a response and just saw my reply wasn't here.

Thank you

Community Manager
Community Manager

We haven't seen any other previouse response come through our page. Are you posting on mobile or using your computer browser. If so, which browser are you using? 

Regarding your Netflix and EHD issues. Have you reset your receiver by unplugging it from power for a minimum of 10 seconds and then plugging it back in, or are you only using the red reset button? 

docdaddy
Character Actor

Chris, I've done just about everything (I've had either Directv or Dish since 1995, so not a newbie. Smiley Wink ) I've tried the red button reset, which usually reconnects the EHD after 2 or 3 resets, and I've tried the full pull the plug and wait for the capacitors to discharge and plug it back in approach, and the results is usually the same. So, for example, yesterday morning once again I got up and the EHD had disappeared. This time I did the pull the plug approach. and it took two tries to get the EHD to be recognized by the Hopper 3. I also tested the Netflix issue again, and once again, if the EHD is not recognized in the recordings list, Netflix just hangs and wont work; once the EHD is back, Netflix works fine. That makes NO sense to me, but I've repeated that experiment now maybe 25-30 times with consistent results. Maybe it will give your engineers a hint, I can't undertand how there could be any connection but there is.

Some mornings the EHD does remain in the recordings list but not often, perhaps one morning in 10 or more. I have not stayed up all night to see what time the EHD disappears; once I get it back it stays there all day and night long and is there when I go to bed, as late as 1 AM. Even with the TV off and the H3 in standby mode. But when i get up at 5 or 6 am, it's gone.

Thanks

Jeff

Some EHDs have a sleep mode that is enabled by default.  I'd read through the manual to see if it has it and how to disable it.  Do you ever reset just the EHD?

Have you ever reset Netflix to defaults?  home > home > home > tools > reset to factory defaults > Netflix

---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

docdaddy
Character Actor
Hi Matt. Yes, I disabled the sleep mode on this EHD and have also tried EHDs that do not have a sleep mode. Also tried the reset on Netflix.

Is there something on the Dish side that happens in the wee hours of the morning every morning? Once I get the EHD back I never lose it during the day and night. I only lose it every night between say 2 am and 5 am.

What is the full EHD model?  Yes, the receiver does nightly updates and does reset around 1:30am

docdaddy
Character Actor

WD 2T My Book External hard drive. USB 3.0 (I've plugged it into the USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 slots on the H3, didn't make a difference,)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3RH5W2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've also tried Seagate external 2T drives with their own power supply, as well as another WD drive with a powered USB port. I've tested about 5 different drives, and made sure sleep mode was not on on any of them. Same  thing with everyone one: works fine, next morning it's not in the recordings list, Netflix doesn't work, after 2 or 3 or 4 resets they show back up and Netflix also works fine again. Works fine all day and night, go to bed, then when I get up the next morning, missing again.

I am guessing something is happening at the reset/update that you said happens every morning at about 1:30 am that is causing the H3 to lose the drive. Why Netflix hangs up and won't work when the EHD is missing from the recordings makes zero logical sense to me,

Thanks

Jeff

When you reset, do you have the EHD connected or disconnected?  What happens if you just reset the EHD's power after disconnecting the USB? How exactly does Netflix not work?