cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHD Sources keep disappearing

Stevenr
Character Actor
I recently received the U341 update.
Since the update my 2 EHD drives keep disappearing.
If I shut the system down completely ( reset, sometimes requires a complete power off )
The EHD Sources come back, but then disappear overnight.
I have already done troubleshooting.
I have tested both EHD on my notebook and they both are found with no issues.
I have tested each EHD separately with the same results.
I have plugged in a completely different EHD with the same results.

Help.....
9 Replies

Re: EHD Sources keep disappearing

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Do these EHD have there own power supply adapters?
What is the size of the EHD drives?

Stevenr
Character Actor
Yes the external units have dedicated powers supplies..
The original USB drives are both 1 TB.
The other unit I tested with was 2TB that I tested with, the hopper accepted drive, formatted the drive.
Next day no sources listed and drive not available.

The only way to get the drives back and showing as sources is to reset, some times a complete power off is needed.

The original 2 drives have been working with this Hopper 3 for almost a year without issues.
The issue started the day I received the U341 update.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
I presume this is something you want to get a hold of support on the phone or notify one of the GREEN moderators here in the forums.

Stevenr
Character Actor
I was trying to avoid calling support, support is nearly useless, go through the scripted troubleshooting steps and then they want to ship a replacement unit. Or worse tell me all my EHD units are bad or not compatible and get no where with the issue.

Been through it several times over the years.. Doesn't seem to be a way to get through to tech support that wants to actually understand the issue.

Thanks for the help anyway.
I will call support tomorrow.

Steven

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Contact one of the DISH Moderators here in the forums. They're in GREEN.

Let us know if you find out anything.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
U343 is aviailable. Might try to see if it still happens on this version.

Stevenr
Character Actor
I received update u343, that seems to have corrected the issue, the EHD drives have not disappeared for 3 days..

Keeping my fingers crossed.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Good to hear. Hope it keeps working for you.

Enjoy. ;)

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer
I just added a second EHD. Occasionally, when I had one EHD, the EHD would disappear or go off-line. Perhaps when DISH indexed it or something - I sometimes saw a quick message that actually said they were going to be doing something with it for 45 minutes, but alas, it usually didn't come back even after waiting overnight.
I mostly have to RESET the Hopper 3 and that typically reconnects the EHD, though once I had to RESET it twice. This is bothersome since any other people viewing the Joeys elsewhere are interrupted, and any recordings being made then are split in two parts.
I know of no way to force the Hopper to look for and reconnect EHDs without a RESET, so if there is one in the menu options, I'd love to learn what it is. If not, I wish DISH would make one that didn't also split recordings or require a whole system RESET. As it is, I usually have to wait - hours and hours, maybe, until late at night to do a RESET to avoid those problems, and in the meantime, I can't transfer things to or from the EHDs, and I can't watch anything on the EHDs, and this is far from ideal.
Why is DISH periodically taking my EHDs off-line anyway? I've never really been told why they do that, or how often, or anything.
Now I added a second EHD the other day and I had to RESET the Hopper 3 to find them both. The next day, the EHDs were gone again. Another RESET did the trick. And now, the next day, they were gone again. Another RESET did the trick - again.
WTF is going on? Am I going to have to RESET once a day? Is it happenings when, for example, I watch Netflix?
3 days in a row is too much on one hand, but on the other hand, not enough for me to have identified what may be causing the Hopper to lose track of both EHDs.
Any ideas? Anyone?