EHD Size Limit for Sling Hopper

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHD Size Limit for Sling Hopper

RinOakland
Extra
I understand that an external hard drive for a Sling Hopper must be no larger than 2TB and have an external power supply. Unfortunately, technology has moved on and the smallest EHD with external power supply I can find is 3TB. I chatted with someone on-line who said he's heard that a 3TB disk has worked for some customers. When I asked what brand others had had success with, he directed me to talk to a "Dr Dish" support member. The tech support member I talked to told me a 3TB drive absolutely will not work. So I'm turning to this forum for resolution. If the hopper cannot recognize a 3TB disk and format and use a 2TB partition on the larger disk, I suggest that Dish figure out how to make it do this. Alternatively, increase the maximum hard drive allowed.
8 Replies

Re: EHD Size Limit for Sling Hopper

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer

Maybe you could partition the drive into a 2Tb one and see. If phone support told you this info then forum will be the same. Forum may not be of any help as the limitation of the drive size is a software issue that would need to be reviewed at the support and engineer level which can't be addressed here in the forums. I presume DISH may have reasons behind setting drive size limits to 2Tb. https://www.mydish.com/support/use-ehd

RinOakland
Extra
Thanks. I guess I got misinformation. "Dr Dish" told me this was the place to get an answer from "higher up" Dish techs and this site was reviewed by them often. Guess I have to get back on the phone.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
You can try one of the Moderators in GREEN and see.

RickObe
Visual Engineer

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Drive-WDBYCC0020HBK-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B0125612Q2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UT...

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Studio-External-Desktop/dp/B00UW3MSSM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Partitioning a larger drive will not work since Dish reformats the drive when connected.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer

Try places like Newegg, Tiger Direct for drives. Maybe PriceWatch.

You could try a 3Tb drive with a Power supply and see. Just get one from a place that has a refund policy so if it doesn't work, you can send it back.

DISH Employee
Hello,

As RickObe stated, partitioning a hard drive on a computer to be 2TB or any other size will not work as the DISH receiver will automatically reformat the hard drive to its full available capacity. The EHD that we advise to us must have its own power supply, support USB 2.0, be between 50 GB and 2 TB in size, and have only a single hard disk drive (flash memory is not compatible). Anything more or less than the size stated we cannot guarantee will work properly or at all.

I will submit your feedback about increasing the maximum size of the EHD to our engineering department.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer

Thank you.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Needs to be a single partition to work effectively from what I've read, so repartitioning will cause issues.