EHD Says It Needs To Be Formatted?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHD Says It Needs To Be Formatted?

mstromquist
Extra
I guess this is my intro post/thread. It's a problem I'm having and I've done the search thing but didn't see an answer for what I'm having an issue with. Maybe I missed it?

I have an external hard drive connected to my ViP722K that my wife uses to store her movies on. I have 2 of the ViP722K's that I use and it went between both DVR's without an issue until now. A couple weeks ago we had a transformer blow and power went out to our whole house while we were watching TV and the hard drive was connected at the time also but not being used. I never checked to see if the hard drive was okay at the time because I didn't think it would have had an issue. (Not sure if that's what caused it or not). So tonight I was going to transfer more movies over for her and the hard drive says it needs to be formatted to work with Dish Network. So I took it to the other DVR and it's saying the same thing. My other external drives I have all work fine between either DVR. I'm hoping that there's a way to back this drive up before I have to format it and then reinstall the movies for her??? Or am I going to have to tell your she's SOL and start over????

Appreciate any help or info that you all have. Thanks.
5 Replies

Re: EHD Says It Needs To Be Formatted?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Have you had an agent send a hit while the drive is connected?

mstromquist
Extra
I have not. I thought I'd see what you all had to say before I messed it up. I will give that a try. Thanks for the info.

JSracer
Audio Engineer
Guessing the superblock is bad on the drive. Happened to me a few times on my 622/722. Repairable, and no data is lost. Pretty quick process.

https://www.dbstalk.com/community/index ... 298/page-2

mstromquist
Extra
Thanks for the link. That sounds like a bit of a process. Probably looks worse then it actually is. I haven't contacted Dish yet to see if they can do anything on their end or not.

JSracer
Audio Engineer
They can't, just saying. They will have you format it, poof stuff gone.